Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My First Eggfest Cook at Salado-Recipes

Options
Hotch
Hotch Posts: 3,564

Many of you asked that I post the recipes we used for the Salado Egg Fest. This may be a little long be here they are.

Chorizo Heaters

Homemade Chorizo

1 lb. ground pork

5 Tbs. Fiesta Chorizo Spice (available https://www.fiestaspices.com/)

1 ½ oz. Vinegar

Combine all and mix well, refrigerate for 24 hours

Heaters

2 lbs. ground sirloin (90/10)

1 lb. ground pork

1 lb. Previously prepared Chorizo (see above)

2 Tbs. Oregano

1 Tbs. Smoked Paprika

1 ½ tsp. Pepper

½ tsp. Cumin

1 Cup Dry Bread Crumbs

2 Tbs. Chili Powder

1 Tbs. minced Garlic

1 ½ tsp. Salt

1 tsp. Honey

2 beaten Eggs

Dash of lime juice

In a large bowl break up the Chorizo into small pieces, add ground sirloin and ground pork until all meat is mixed well.  Add all other ingredients and mix well (as if making an old fashioned meatloaf).  Take your Meatloaf pan and line with Plastic wrap – leaving enough overlapping so that you can cover the entire top of the pan when full.  Start at one end and fill your pan to the top with the meat mixture pull the plastic wrap over the top and place in the refrigerator for approximately 2 hours.  Remove and place in freezer to firm up your meat for slicing (usually about 45 minutes to 1 hour).  Turn your meat from your pan onto a cutting board and measure the meatloaf into equal pieces and cut slices (12-13), then cut the slices in half (this should yield 24-26 sliders). 

Bring your BGE up to 375-400 degrees, plate setter legs up and pan to catch the drippings. I pre-spray a disposable grill topper 16x12 (search for Oscarware on Amazon or look for them at HEB) with “PAM” so I can place and remove all at one time. Place your heaters on the grill topper spaced close together but with spacing between them and roll up the ends a little or place directly on the grate. Try to keep them over the plate setter.  You may apply your glaze now or wait 10-15 minutes.  Cook each to internal temp of 160 -1650 (Appx. 18-20 min).

Serve on Sunbeam Dinner Rolls with American cheese (in order to be the perfect size we cut the typical Kraft slices into ¼’s) and one dill pickle slice.  Depending on the amount of glaze you might want to also put some glaze on your roll.  These make for a perfect two to three bite “slider”.

Chorizo Heater Glazes (Each will do 10-20 Sliders)

Pineapple Jalapeno

1/3 Cup Crushed Pineapple

1 Tbsp. diced (jarred) jalapenos

1 tsp. Honey

1 tsp. of Jalapeno juice (from the jar)

½ tsp. Soy Sauce

Pinch of salt

Combine all ingredients into a blender or food processor and pulse for approximately 1-2 minutes. Spoon on.

Chipotle Adobo Ketchup

1 large Chipotle Pepper in Adobo Sauce (we use the La Costena: In Adobo Sauce Chipotle Peppers)

¼ Cup Ketchup

1 Tbsp. Brown Sugar

¼  cup Stubb’s Original Barbeque Sauce

1 Tbsp. Sauce from the Peppers

Pinch of salt

Combine all ingredients into a blender or food processor and pulse until the pepper is consumed

Grilled Pineapple With Caramel Rum Sauce

1 ripe pineapple or use spears
1/2 cup dark rum
1/2 cup golden brown sugar
4 tablespoon butter
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

2 teaspoons vanilla (My add to brighten it up)

Peel, core and trim the pineapple into spears, then sprinkle with the cinnamon and toss around. I used a BGE Mini for grilling (you can use your outdoor grill, indoor grill or heat in a non-stick frying pan). Brush the grill pan with some vegetable oil or cooking spray, then (med/high heat) grills the pineapple spears for 2-3 minutes on each side. Set aside as we get the sauce ready. Try not to over-grill or you’ll find the pineapple will go soft and loose its shape.

In a fairly deep sauce pan on medium heat, add the brown sugar and butter and cook/stir until its melted and starts to go a darker color and develop big bubbles (frothy). Takes about 4-6 minutes. Remember to keep stirring. Add two teaspoons of vanilla. Now take off of the heat and gently pour in the rum. Have a whisk handy as it will clump and you’ll think it’s ruined. Fears not, keep stirring. After 2 minutes of stirring, put back on the heat (the alcohol should have dissipated by now) and keep stirring until you have a semi-thick consistency. Have the heat on medium. Now add the grilled pineapple pieces to the pan and gently toss the sauce all over them. (Thanks to the Caribbeanpot.com for this one)

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
BGE Chiminea
Prosper, TX

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    They were great my friend! Thanks for bringing them over. Cali and I never got to go around much cause we had to keep a two man ruse going to keep stealing Henapple's beer.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Sliders were freaking phenomenal. ..I'll definitely do those. Good to see you. Your A Cooking machine. Next year stay at the inn.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Hotch
    Options

I will post the Egg Bites a little later. I am to old to keep up with all of you. I need more rest.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Bookmarked! Thank you for posting this.

And it was a pleasure to meet you on Sunday morning. Next time, I'll share some of henapple's beer with you.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Hotch
    Options

Thanks, and I will take that PBR.

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Sounds great, Hotch. Bookmarked.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Hotch
    Options

Where were you? I was looking forward to some of your sausage and homebrew?

This one was a blast.

Good food and great friends having fun in the Texas Hill country.

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Hotch
    Options
    @griffin Will you be going to Athens?
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • NoJokeSmoke
    Options
    Good stuff, enjoyed the cook and talking with you at the meet & greet.  We are going to get that Fiesta brand chorizo spice and give it shot.  Thanks for the tip.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    We couldn'tmake it, Hotch. I'll have to look into Athens. When is it?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Hotch
    Options
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Hotch
    Options
    @NoJokeSmoke The glazes will be a big hit. I prefer the Chipotle Adobo Ketchup both were a big success.
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options

Thanks for posting the recipes.  I've added them to the Salado Eggfest web page.

By the way, you're a pretty good cook.

Spring "Fest Scribe" Chicken

Spring Texas USA

• Hotch
    Options

Thanks,

I have to give all the credit to my wife Shelly, aka Honey.

We are excited about the Tequila Lime Theme for Athens.

Hopefully first trial run this weekend.

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Options
    @Hotch:  When you made your chorizo, did you just use regular ground pork and the Fiesta chorizo seasoning?
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    The way people were scarfing them down must have added crack cocaine.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Hotch
    Options

Yes and the vinegar. That makes the chorizo part. Let it sit in the fridge for 24.

Then took the another 1 lb of pork, 2 lb of sirloin, the 1/2 to 1 lb of chorizo all in the bowl for the start of making the meat loaf.

So we had about 4lb of meatloaf.

Remember I cooked them as sliders and not in a loaf.

By the way I just placed an order at Fiesta for $55.00 worth of other spices, great place.

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Hotch
    Options
    Apply the glazes as you see fit. 400 for about 18-20 min no need to flip because you are really baking indirect,
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Options
    I sadly didn't get over to try your sliders, but they sure inspired Bruce.  We love good chorizo and do like the idea of making our own, so we know what the "meat parts" are.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Hotch
    Options

@EggObsessed: Yes it is surprising (Or scary) what is in a commercial chorizo. It is everything that is not sold in a package.

Now working on Tequila and Lime theme for Athens.

Hope to do 3 servings again.

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX