Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thinking of buying a demo egg. Questions for a newbie and...What else do I need?

Options
2»

Comments

• GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    Good for you! Congrats on the purchase!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • chainsaw19
    chainsaw19 Posts: 257
    Options
    Welcome to the club
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Hi Sandy I have 2 large Big Green Eggs the 2nd was a demo egg that I got at Eggtoberfest it is deffinatly the way to go my demo egg cost me $750.00 and it came with the plate setter which your going to need it also came with a ash tool a box of fire starters and a grill lifter all of the above mentioned stuff you will need as far as charcole I think that a 17 pound bag of lump will get you started my 1st bag lasted almost 2 months remember when your done cooking you extinguish the fire by closing the vents and the charcoal will be ready for the next cook .I live on Long Island and we have a lot of humidity and I haven't had a problem with the charcoal it's always ready if you have anymore questions feel free to ask me I will try my best to help you
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Duranhler
    Duranhler Posts: 78
    Options
    eXceLlent choice on the XLBGE.
    You'll love it.
    Read this forum and ask questions.
    Peoria, AZ == XL BGE, Weber 22.5 Redhead, Fiesta Blue Ember Gasser
  • s_austin_egger
    Options
    If you grill it, they will come.
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Options
    You will not regret your decision!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Nice choice on the XL. You'll need it once your friends/family figure what you have. Enjoy!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Glad to hear you jumped in. Your boys will thank you. The forum will help you with any questions, lot of great people here. Enjoy your new egg.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • mollysue
    mollysue Posts: 17
    Options
    I bought a demo large BGE and am glad that I did. I did a stupid thing by putting a large piece of unsoaked wood next to the plate setter rather than under it ( I didn't want to lift that hot platesetter.) The wood caught fire which went directly to my buttered turkey. An hour later my Christmas turkey was toast. Long story short , the warranty covered my burned up gasket and cracked fire ring. i now realize that i want the PS Woo2 from Ceramic grill shoe. These should be back in stock about a week. The store said  to watch for it on Facebook. Everyone really likes the AR, but since i already bought the platesetter, I'll probably just go with the Woo. After 45 years of cooking on the Weber, the Egg is quite an adjustment. I really like it. The clean up is a snap.Also, you might want to look into Rockwood lump charcoal. It's great.
    Sue
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    I know it's different by market but in Ia I paid 1682 for almost the same setup in October... mine was new from a dealer...not a demo...only difference is my kit came with the handler too... sounds like you are getting a good deal...I would have done it if it were an option for me at the time...
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options

if you have the food , the kids will be there.. no matter what the age.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Congrats!  When the boys grow up and invite the "team" over for Pulled pork off the XL.  They will never leave!!!!  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    Options
    Jealous of your XL. I've had my large almost 8 months and LOVE it. Now and then I wish I had the XL. Served a wonderful Pork Loin to my 21 year old and his 3 college buddies. I hear the buddies asked when they could come back to town for dinner again.
    Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    Options
    Where are you located at in the pnw?
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    I'm near Olympia.
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    Options
    Gotcha Port Orchard here
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Howdy neighbor :)
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    There is a reducer available for the XL to keep the fire smaller and more concentrated - never heard a bad comment re the XL, the forgiving egg, great air flow with the BGE OEM fire grate. I'm sure you and them soon to be walking stomachs will be happy.
    Look forward to seeing you at the PNW Eggfest! 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!