Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thinking of buying a demo egg. Questions for a newbie and...What else do I need?

Options
Hi all...first time poster. We've got the PNW Eggfest coming up. Tickets go on sale tomorrow, along with the opportunity to buy a demo egg. I'm seriously considering signing on for a large and could use some advice. History - I have never seen an egg in real life. I've used gas in the past...it's never really impressed me. Had a Traeger - never thought it got "hot enough" for grilling rather than smoking. Don't want the hassle/mess of a traditional charcoal grill. Reasons I'm tempted by the egg: Reputation - 'nuff said. Seems like I can have the best of all worlds - low and slow and high enough to sear. I've heard clean up is a snap. Lasts forever. My questions: * Is a demo the way to go? Clearly it's quite an investment and "used" is even cheaper than a demo - if you can find them. But I understand the demo will come with the warranty - which seems to be important. * Is it true that you really don't have to clean out the old charcoal? That you just leave it to start the next time you cook? That would definitely be a perk for me.I live in the PNW...you may have heard it rains a lot here. Will I still be able to do that? * The age-old question. Large vs. Extra large. My deck is small. I'm a female with two young boys and I don't usually entertain "huge" crowds, but I do live on a lake and invite people over. How much bigger is the XL? Will I need to use lots more charcoal just to cook a few chicken breasts for a Tuesday night dinner? I'd love to hear your opinions. * What accessories are there that I should just go ahead and buy, because I'm going to need them eventually? How much charcoal is a good "starter" amount? I would appreciate any feedback you can give me. I know these questions have probably been asked a billion times, and I really have done my research...but as a single mom of two boys, I'd really like a bit of real time advice before I drop such a large some of money. Thanks in advance, Sandy
XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
Sandy

Comments

• Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    Hi Sandy... I love my XL and wouldn't have been as happy with a large only...The Large Has An 18.25in Grid Vs the 24 on the XL. 4 in our family...but sometimes I cook for events or company.

Yes you can and should reuse any leftover charcoal...but it's important to note you do have to clean it out once in a while to keep good airflow...I clean mine out after 2-3 bags or any time I'm going to do a long cook.

If you are going to any indirect cooks either a platesetter or an adjustable rig with a stone to deflect heat will be necessary...might think about what method you would use to light the charcoal. A few bags of charcoal would get you off on the right foot...might be a good idea to try so.e different brands to see what you like before you stock up...bge lump is pretty ok but more expensive the a lot of other stuff that is just as good imo..

I would have. I issue getting a demo egg...I would only buy a used one if the deal was really good...

Good luck on your journey.
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    Oh yea...I cook in the rain or snow often...won't hurt a thing...
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • coffeeguydenton
    Options
    First of all, welcome.  Whatever you end up getting, you will be glad you did!

1. Is a demo the way to go?- I bought new.  If you can get a demo soon, get one.  I wouldn't wait, but that's just me.

2. Yes, you can cook with the previous cook's leftover charcoal. Rain shouldn't be a problem as long as you put the cap back on after the cook.

3. Extra large.  This is just an opinion.  You will find lots of people who swear by the large.  But for two boys, I would definitely go with the XL, and then if you are going to invite guests over, it makes it easier to me.  You can get accessories to keep the lump pile smaller for smaller cooks to limit the waste of lump.  The XL is almost twice as much cooking surface.

4. There are tons of accessories that are worth your money.  I would say go to the CGS website (ceramicgrillstore.com) and look around at what you think you will use.  Start simple, get used to the Egg, and then build from there.  I think that the adjustable rig is indispensable.  Combined with the Woo2 and pizza stone, this will allow you to do indirect cooks.

5.  Just start with one or two bags of lump and go from there.  Find a good local supplier that has lump, smoking wood, etc, and play around with different types of lump, different woods, etc.

Welcome again, and as you will hear, or read, repeatedly- Enjoy the journey!
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    Options
    Welcome aboard Sandy, you got good advice from Mike, just want to add that for smaller cooks, you can use a lump reducing ring from CGS ...
    canuckland
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Lots of great questions, and will try to answer some. 'Low an slow and high enough to sear'. Definitely a plus with the Egg. I've done 30 pounds of pulled pork at 225 degree for 29 hours, and seared steak at 900 plus degrees. 'A few chicken breasts for a Tuesday night dinner' I can have the Egg ready to cook in 15 minutes and chicken done in about 15-20 minutes. Flavored however you like and moist as can be. 'Don't have to clean out the old charcoal' - need to clean out the ash every 3 or 4 cooks, and if doing a long low and slow (pulled pork or brisket) before you start. Only tales a couple of minutes to stir the old lump and empty the ash. Any thing you can grill, smoke, bake or griddle on any other device you can do on the Egg. Go for it and look to this forum for ideas and recipes.
    chainsaw19 Posts: 257
    Options
    I have 5 kids and the large is plenty big, I wouldn't mind having an XL but the large has been a true workhorse. I highly recommend the adjustable rig, but it really depends on what types of cooks you plan to do.
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I have 5 kids and the large is plenty big, I wouldn't mind having an XL but the large has been a true workhorse. I highly recommend the adjustable rig, but it really depends on what types of cooks you plan to do.

Yep, this.  A large should do you fine.  Warranty is important, both "just in case" and because BGE corporate is great about honoring it.  Worth the xtra.

Get a large demo.

Thing about using the used charcoal - if you're doing a quick cook (like grilling chicken breasts), starting used charcoal can be as easy as lighting a gas stove.  I dropped a lit starter cube in the grill last night, and went to get my meat (heh), and when I came out 10 minutes later, it was ready to go.

The ease and control of the BGE is amazing, IMO.  Get one. 
    NOLA
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
    Sent you a PM with my humble opinion-

Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    In picked up my large demo last year at PNW egg fest to join my mini. I will be going back again this year since it was a great time.
    You can leave the lump in just fine here you just clean the ash out so it drops down through the grate.
    My large 1 year later out in the rain looks just fine , minus the handle which has worn.

Seattle, WA
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    I love my XL. with a family of 3 you could easily go with a large. I do have firebox dividers to save on lump for quick weeknight cooks. These are only available for the XL. I think the basic package will get you started. I'd add a plate setter but otherwise you'll be good to go. Don't go crazy on accessories until you learn the egg. There is a learning curve.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Wow, I am so much feeling the love....this must be a tight-nitch foodie commmunity. I will be glad to call it home. :) I should have added that no matter what package I buy, it will come with: side shelves, Egg Nest, Plate Setter, Rake, and Gripper. I'm now starting to seriously consider the XL...just because my elmentary school age boys will one day be teenagers...with teen age friends...and I'm wondering if I will want the extra space. I will have to research these adjustable rigs you are talkng about...but I have to do it tonight because I'm afraid all the demos will sell out quickly.. :)
    Sandy
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    To me, a large demo egg sounds like a great solution for you. You can easily cook for a small to medium sized group on it an it will work nicely for your family. I used to have a medium and used it all the time for my family of 4. We entertain a lot and now I have two larges which provides all kinds of flexibility for my cooks. I would add a medium for our week night cooks if I could. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Hi Sandy, you have gotten a lot of great advice. Either size will do you well. You mentioned your deck was small. Are you going to have any outdoor furniture on it as well, remember when you have the side tables up, it takes a little more floor space. I have a large and a small, large is nice for when the guests come over. I also leave in the PNW, but across the line. No issues with rain, snow, or wind. The egg is awesome. What ever size you decide on getting, it will change your BBQing game. The food is great, and it will get you thinking what else could be grilled, baked, seared, or cooked low and slow. As far as getting support, guaranteed you will be happy with the responses you will get to help you with your learning curve. 
    Best Wishes, let us know what you decide.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options
    I have a large with the A/R, you can get a lot of food on there with the rig. Not really a necessity but you are going to want a Thermo pen , and an indirect method of cooking (plate setter or A/R w/ stone).This forum will help you (willingly) do about whatever you want with an egg. The owner of CGS (A/R mfg.)is a member of this forum and always helpful choosing accessories Enjoy,get a Demo and don't look back !

Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    In addition to all the great inputs above, check out this site for about the best intro to ceramic cooking.  Should answer lots of additional questions...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    I would not be concerned at all about demo egg. It is used one time and more than likely when you are at the Eggfest you can find the one that is yours and see who and what is being cooked on it and talk to them a little. It might make them a little more cautious and clean if they actually meet the person it is going to belong to.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options

I'd recommend getting the biggest egg you can afford.  The demo egg is a great opportunity to get a large egg at a great price but if you can afford an XL without fiscal hardship you'll appreciate the extra grill real estate.

If you end up with the large you will make it work and it will be great.  Depending on the condition of your current grill and your space you might do like I did and consider the egg "an addition to the armament" rather than "the one grill".  Then when you do big cooks you can cook on multiple grills as needed. 

Or get a large now and add a second egg in a few years when the boys are teenagers who bring home the sports team after the game on Saturdays because their mom is the best cook.

Either way you'll be happily egging soon. Welcome to the asylum.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SmokinTiger81
    SmokinTiger81 Posts: 746
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Everyone's opinion will be different.  My 2 cents.  Buy a demo large (you get full warranty and save money).  Don't buy a platesetter, take money you saved on platesetter and by not getting the XL, and order adjustable rig combo from ceramic grill store.  With that set up, I can do 4 10# butts on my large.  I usually have plenty of room for whatever I am doing, and have family of 5.  Also feed groups of 15+ regularly.  

I do have a small also which I added to take tailgating, and I will use it at home as 2nd egg if doing different appetizers or something.

Good luck.  
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    Only two of us here.  I bought the large and now really wished I would have gotten the XL.  Since everyone has had the great food that comes from the BGE I am asked to cook for get togethers now and see the benefit of the extra cooking space.  My XL will come from an eggfest demo because you still get the warranty and price is cheaper then new.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Welcome and enjoy the ride!

For you, I vote large, and go with the demo.  I have an XL, the only cook I have done that would not have worked on a large is Paella in my 18" pan.  It takes a lot of charcoal to fill the XL (you can put 10 lbs in it), and it seems like too much when I am just doing a couple of chickens etc - I plan to add a smaller egg.  I do have the lump reducer ring from CGS and use it often.

I would also say that how often you need to clean depends somewhat on the lump charcoal you choose.  One brand I have used (Frontier) has a lot of small pieces, and as a result I clean more often.  In fact, though I do not have to, I usually clean out before most cooks, always before a large or long one.

However, you won't go wrong either way. 
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    If you get it at the egg fest you will need some muscle to unload and get bit where you want

The thing is heavy, we had to take apart the lid and base. So I could carry up stairs to my back yard.
    Seattle, WA
  • Duranhler
    Duranhler Posts: 78
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Just a thought  L-) Fire bricks are cheap & can be used to reduce the size of the firebox without the added expense.
    I have used 2 firebricks & they work great. Stand on their long side & they're about the same heights as the top of firebox. You can pinch them down as much as you like! B-)
    Peoria, AZ == XL BGE, Weber 22.5 Redhead, Fiesta Blue Ember Gasser
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    Adjustable rig & thermapen.
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    edited March 2014
    Options
    You have gotten some great advice already so I will just second a few things: -XL if you can swing the extra bucks without any hardship. Those boys are gonna grow and if you cook for friends on the weekends you will be glad for the extra room. -Plate setter or a woo for indirect cooks. -Pizza stone........pizza on the egg is amazing! -Thermapen....you will need it! -Couple bags of lump to get started will be fine. Stock up when you find a good deal. -Clean ash out when it looks like air flow is being blocked. -You can definitely reuse the lump from previous cooks, shut down all the way when your done cooking and then just stir it up real well before you light it next time to get off the ash. -We cook in the rain and snow....no problem. Some folks have switched over to the stainless topper from the daisy wheel and say it help keep the rain from going in through the top. Enjoy the Egg and get those boys out there cooking with you! Oh and the demo egg is an awesome deals you can get one in the right time frame for you go for it.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • PNWFoodie
    Options
    Thank you all for all of the advice - I really appreciate it. One last question (okay, that's probably a lie) - the prices on demos came out. Both packages will come with: egg nest plate setter ash rake grill gripper side shelves Large is going to go for $859.84 plus tax XL is going to go for $1145.85 plus tax. Am I right in thinking that these are really good prices? I had been thinking of driving down to OR to avoid sales tax, but I think these prices may beat even that. What say you?
    Sandy
  • s_austin_egger
    Options
    I think I paid about $1100 including tax for my large and same accessories new.
  • chainsaw19
    chainsaw19 Posts: 257
    Options
    PNWFoodie said:
    Thank you all for all of the advice - I really appreciate it. One last question (okay, that's probably a lie) - the prices on demos came out. Both packages will come with: egg nest plate setter ash rake grill gripper side shelves Large is going to go for $859.84 plus tax XL is going to go for $1145.85 plus tax. Am I right in thinking that these are really good prices? I had been thinking of driving down to OR to avoid sales tax, but I think these prices may beat even that. What say you?

For what you are getting that does seem to be a pretty good deal.
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • Cm23
    Cm23 Posts: 130
    Options
    I just bought my second large at Salado as a demo, good deal
    XL, 2 Large, Mini  -- Shenandoah, TX  Now BulletGrillHouse
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I had my choice too and I went for the large demo. Glad I did. It's got plenty of room for normal size cooks for 4 or less people. That's the majority of my cooks. If I need to cook for more, I just add an upper level grate and I'm there. I'd get the size that fits your most frequent cooks.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • PNWFoodie
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the XL. While I do think it is really big for us (now) and will divide the firebox when needed. Since these bad boys supposedly last forever, for less that $300 difference I'm hoping someday I will be the house that the teen boys hang out with their friends at and the grown boys bring their family over to for family meals. :)
    Sandy