Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MANO A MANO: Snake River Farm´s VS Costco´s Choice packer (with pics)

Options

So, I was able to buy a couple of SRF packer briskets (I live in mexico so is not easy) and decided to invite some friends over and have this little test between these two. I have to admit that the idea came to me because I did not want to cook both SRF briskets at the same time and for the number of people invited we needed two briskets.

The Cook:

I decided to use only S&P on the SRF brisket. For the other one I use this rub:

1/2 cup coarse kosher or sea salt
1/3 cup black pepper
1/4 cup granulated garlic
1/4 cup ground paprika
2 tbsp celery seed
2 tsp cumin

I set up bbq guru at 235 and placed the SRF on top so that the drippings could only “affect” the Costco brisket and not the other way around. I Used oak chunks and a handful of hickory chips for smoke.

Conclusions:

-Definitely SRF is a superior product, amazing moisture and flavor. I did not take video but I’m pretty sure the wiggle would be there as in CENTEX video. Simply amazing!

- I did not believe until today that using only S&P on a brisket was enough. It certainly is especially with good quality meet.

The only problem now is that is going to be difficult to use choice packers from now on…!

Ready to start:

Trimmed and with rub:

Set up, SRF on top:

SRF at 180 getting wrapped in paper:

Finished product (choice got use as appetizer for the most part)

SRF resting...I pulled at 198

Amazing smoke ring....

imageimageimage

and finally dessert!

It was a great day...

Salud!

Comments