Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shrooms anyone?

Options
So I've done a couple of cooks since the last time I started a discussion, right now I'm on a 4 day stretch of days off and I'm trying to take full advantage of my time to cook while I can. Night 1 was Filet, night 2 was dinner at a friends house, (no big green egg)... we'll just leave that at that... Night 3 was spatchcock chicken with creamed spinach, quinoa and mushrooms stuffed with gorgonzola cheese. And as I type I'm working on night 4, smoked pork butt. As the next couple of cooks develop I'll post updated pics of how everything turns out.
Demorest, Ga.    1MBGE

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,571
    Options
    You got my vote... All looks fantastic, great cooks. I can't wait to see the butt. I like the mushrooms as well.. I will be trying that at my next cook. Well done !!!!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    You my friend are on fire!!! Home run after home run. Shrooms look awesome
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    That looks and sounds great. I think you should invite your friend over to your house for dinner. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • jamco
    jamco Posts: 13
    Options
    Those mushrooms look great.  Care to share your recipe?
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Very nice! Did the chicken skin stay in place once you opened it up like that to get the rub underneath it? Or did you have to anchor it in some way?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • BckPorchGriln
    Options
    Thanks fellas! I'll be posting some pics of the butt here in a bit when it gets a little closer to being done. Right now it's at about 160 or so and been on almost 9 hours. The recipe for the mushrooms is pretty simple. I chose the mini portabella mushrooms and cut out the stem so that they were able to be stuffed and then took some gorgonzola cheese and crumbled it into each mushroom and then packed it down, placed them in a seasoned iron skillet and drizzled a little olive oil on them followed by a little dizzy pig "shakin the tree" rub. Place on the egg at 350-375 and cook until the cheese is melted and slightly brown on top. Absolutely delicious if you like gorgonzola!
    Demorest, Ga.    1MBGE
  • BckPorchGriln
    Options
    caliking said:
    Very nice! Did the chicken skin stay in place once you opened it up like that to get the rub underneath it? Or did you have to anchor it in some way?
    No, I placed it back down over the meat. But now that you mention it, that gives me an idea to possibly tent the skin over the meat... I wonder how that would do? Only one way to find out!
    Demorest, Ga.    1MBGE