Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roasting Chestnuts

Options
Joshua Kane
Joshua Kane Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello:[p] I was going to make a turkey stuffing with chestnuts for Thanksgiving. Usually this involves buying an $8.00 jar of chestnuts from the local grocery. I saw that I could get a pound of raw chestnuts from the local fruit market for about $3.00. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for roasting them? Time, Temp? Dry or in some liquid? any help would be appreciated.[p]-- Joshua[p]

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    JoshuaKane,
    I have no experience, but here's a link I googled. Sounds simple and straightforward. Good luck.[p]Ken

[ul][li]Roasting Chestnuts[/ul]
  • Joshua Kane
    Options
    BlueSmoke,[p]So it looks like i score them with a paring knife. Then I cook them direct at 425 for about 1/2 an hour. Once that is done just crack and eat them!
  • CJ
    CJ Posts: 50
    Options
    JoshuaKane,
    I've tried micro-waving, steaming, baking, roasting and boiling. I've settled into cutting an 'x'in the shell and boiling them for at least 30 mins, or until the way you want them. Then peel and eat...important, PEEL off the inner skin also!

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    JoshuaKane,
    i do them every year on the egg for my thanksgiving stuffing. .. [p]set up like you would for a pizza (i do pizza stone on top of grid on top of inverted plate setter. .. i like to stick a chunk of wood in for some smoke (hickory/pecan/etc). ..get egg stablized at 425 degrees. .. .[p]like other said, you HAVE TO cut the X in them to keep them from exploding. .. . .put them directly on the pizza stone for 25 minutes . .. .any less they are hard. . .any more they get mushy. .. . let cool, then peel. .. [p]they pick up a fantastic flavor on the egg. . ..

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    here's a pic of the chestnuts roasting on the egg. ...
    DSCN0647.jpg

• BluesnBBQ
    Options
    I've never roasted them, but your post reminded me of this joke:[p]A few days before Christmas, a man enters a pet store looking for a unique gift for his wife. The store manager tells him he has just what he's looking for! A beautiful parrot named Chet that sings Christmas carols.[p]He brings the husband over to a colorful but quiet bird. The man agrees that Chet certainly is pretty, but he doesn't seem to be much for singing.[p]The manager tells him to watch as he reaches into his pocket and pulls out a lighter. The manager then clicks the lighter and holds it under Chet's left foot. Immediately, Chet starts singing; "Silent Night, Holy Night."[p]The husband is very impressed with Chet's singing abilities and watches as the manager moves the lighter underneath Chet's right foot. Chet now starts to sing "Jingle Bells, Jingle All the Way." The husband says Chet is perfect and that he'll take him. The husband rushes home to his wife and insists upon giving her this wonderful gift immediately. [p]He presents Chet and starts to explain the parrot's special talent. Demonstrating, he holds a lighter under Chet's left foot and the bird sings "Silent Night." He then moves the lighter under the right foot and Chet lets loose a round of "Jingle Bells." The wife is absolutely impressed, and with a mischievous grin asks her husband what happens if he holds the lighter between Chet's legs instead. Curious, the husband moves the lighter between the bird's legs, and the bird begins to sing..."Chet's Nuts Roasting on an Open Fire!" [p]
  • JoshuaKane, I have never done them but it sounds like $5 well spent to me![p]I'm lazy.[p]Happy Thanksgiving,
    Hugh Jass

• BluesnBBQ, I've already cut and pasted this to all my email friends. Funny as heck, thanks for sharing![p]Hugh Jass
    aka Van

• CyberDawg
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]One thing I do that really works well: Instead of cutting an X on the broad side of the chestnut I make one slice along the "pointy" end of the chestnut. The heat then breaks the hull into two pieces, the big round piece and the smaller straight piece, making the peeling process effortless, and the skin usually comes right off with the shell.[p]It's much quicker and easier to make that one slice than the two X slices.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    CyberDawg,
    that sounds great. ..i will definitely try that nex week. ..[p]thanks!!!