Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

(Award Winning) Smoked Brisket Chili Served at Salado After Party 2014

Here is the recipe that some of you have requested.  We served this at the Salado After Party.  Bruce and I entered our first chili cook-off in February at Spicewood Vineyards near Austin.  There were 40 teams serving chili and about 3000 tasters.   The judging was done "blind" by winemakers and people in the food business.  Lo and behold, our first time out of the shoot we won the grand prize.  We were so excited!  For the cook-off, we were required to bring a minimum of 5 gallons of chili, but since we "over do" everything, we brought 11 gallons. We made 3 gallons for the After Party.  At both venues there wasn't a drop left :)

Here's the recipe:  

SMOKED BRISKET CHILI
by
Kelley “EggObsessed” and Bruce “No Joke Smoke” Underwood

Yield:  1 ½ gallons

3 cups celery, chopped

3 small jalapenos, thinly sliced

3 purple onions, chopped

Sauté the vegetables in vegetable oil or bacon grease until translucent.  Then add:

4 cloves of garlic, pressed

Sauté for about 30 seconds.  Add the following spices and bloom them in the hot oil with the veggies.

½ cup + 2 TBL chili powder (I use Pendery’s Original Chile Blend which is available in the Central Market bulk section or here:  http://www.penderys.com/ )

2 tsp. smoked paprika

2 tsp. cayenne

1 TBL cumin

2 tsp. Mexican oregano

2 tsp. granulated onion

2 tsp. granulated garlic

Once this mixture has bloomed, add:

1 c. red wine (Pinot Noir or Claret)

Reduce the wine down for about 10 minutes.  Then add:

1 14 oz. can tomato sauce

3 15 oz. cans diced tomatoes

3 cups LOW SODIUM beef stock/broth

12 oz. V-8 juice

3 TBL Knorr Tomato Bouillon w/ Chicken Flavor (powdered)

2 TBL of whatever rub you used on the brisket (if other than salt and pepper)

2 ½ lbs. of cooked smoked brisket, cut into 3/8” cubes

(Optional: 1-2 20 oz. cans of pinto beans, drained and rinsed.  I always include these.)

Test for need to add salt

Bring up to a slight boil, then turn heat down and simmer until brisket starts falling apart (about 3 hours.  I always put a Simmer Mat (http://www.amazon.com/Simmer-Mat-5200-Diffuser/dp/B000W24RW8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395099826&sr=8-1&keywords=simmer+mat) under my pot to prevent scorching.  Works like a charm!

Enjoy!!

Kelley 
Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.

Comments

• Navymom
    Navymom Posts: 167
    This stuff was so good, thanks for sharing.
    Wear maroon, live maroon, bleed maroon.
    Fightin' Texas Aggies Fly Navy.
    Denton TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    My in laws are visiting from India, and my FIL LOVED your chili. He said it was one of the best things he ate in Salado.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Thanks, @caliking, he was very nice.  Enjoyed talking food with him!
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    Bookmarked, does this have much heat to it?
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Just right
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    It was very good for sure.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• EggObsessed
    @fletcherfam:  It definitely has heat to it, but pretty balanced.  If you are sensitive to heat you can cut down on the cayenne and de-vein/de-seed the jalapenos.  If put full cayenne and full jalapenos in mine.

@henapple:  Please let me know when you do get around to making your chili.

@LittleSteven:  Sure enjoyed spending time with Norma.  I don't think I ever got to officially meet you. Next time!!
    Kelley 
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Thanks for posting! I will be making this soon. It was sooooooooooooo good. ^:)^

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    edited March 2014
    Curious if you are using Point or Flat for the brisket. This sounds awesome and definitely bookmarked!
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Ya my grocery store doesn't have that knorr product. Maybe @hapster has seen it at wegmans since he might be the only person that I know that might be there more than me.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• EggObsessed
    edited March 2014
    @BuckeyeBob:  We use the whole brisket which includes both the point and the flat.  We cook them as one and treat the cubes the same.  There are only two of us at our house and we love to cook brisket, so we always have big chunks left that we foodsaver and freeze for use in our chili.  It's a win-win situation.
    Kelley 
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    edited March 2014
    This was incredible. This was truly one of the best chilis I have ever made. Thank you so much @EggObsessed‌ for the recipe.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • grege345 said:
    Ya my grocery store doesn't have that knorr product. Maybe @hapster has seen it at wegmans since he might be the only person that I know that might be there more than me.
    Maybe they're not where the rest of the bullion squares are kept, look for it on the Mexican items isle on grocers that have them.
    XL BGE + Large BGE @ Monterrey, Mexico
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @EggObsessed‌. Bookmarked :-D. Smoking a 13.5# packer next weekend that I suspect to have left overs. Perfect! Thanks again for sharing! =D>
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • I made a trial of this chili last week and it was a hit amongst my family and friends.
    Made it again the other night for an office chili cookoff today.
    I ended up going back and adding some saranno peppers with reduced red wine after when I removed the jalapeno seeds it was too mild.
    Took home first prize! Even beat out the ringer chili from a local Memphis restaurant voted Best Memphis Chili
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    MemRubes said:

I made a trial of this chili last week and it was a hit amongst my family and friends.
    Made it again the other night for an office chili cookoff today.
    I ended up going back and adding some saranno peppers with reduced red wine after when I removed the jalapeno seeds it was too mild.
    Took home first prize! Even beat out the ringer chili from a local Memphis restaurant voted Best Memphis Chili

Awesome!!  I have received nothing but praise EVERY time I make this chili.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • That's great, @MemRubes!  Congrats on your win  =D>
    Kelley 
  • We are gearing up for two huge batches of chili to be made soon.  On February 28th, we are taking about 11 gallons again to enter into the Spicewood Vineyards chili cookoff, where we won the judges blind tasting grand prize last year.  After that, we are taking about 4 1/2 gallons for the Salado After Party.  We nervously pulled all of our smoked brisket from the freezer last weekend to weigh it.  We needed a total of 23 lbs. for these two cooks. We LUCKED OUT!!  We had 23 1/2 pounds. Whew!! Glad we didn't need to smoke anymore brisket for a while.
    Kelley 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Last batch I made I had 5# of brisket point in a 7qt DO + additional beans. I have had nothing but, positive response with this chili. In fact I'm getting ready to eat a couple of bowls right now w/ cornbread but of course. :)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • henapple
    I took a batch to my friends office for his guys...rave reviews. I'm supposed to make some for their annual White River fishing trip in March. ..I've been invited...so...
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Just made a batch of this. Brisket was way overpriced so I smoked a nice looking chuck roast. Taking it to a neighborhood chili cook off tonight. It's delicious!! Chili isn't much to look at but here is the beef:

Thanks for sharing this great recipe!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    @blind99 you beat me to it. Did it turn out ok?
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I just looked at my comment from last year. It was way more than good.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Go to recipe for Brisket Chili!  The Best!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    @Jeremiah it is outstanding! The smoked beef chuck roast worked out great. Really tender. I will make it again but minus some of the spice to make it more child friendly. Great recipe. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • henapple
    Egged some this week. Always good. No spices though... Chopped hatch chiles. 

Hotdogs with the chili tonight 

• Gonna try your recipe this weekend.  Im using Tri Tip instead of brisket.  I like hot stuff as long as it has flavor.  Does this have enough heat or should I add another jalapeno?  It looks awesome!!!  Also Im adding black beans.  do you know when I should put the beans in?  Will they get mushy if I put them in too early?

Thanks,  Looking forward to winning the first ever Viking Packer chili feed!!!

Jeremy
  • henapple
    I add my pinto beans at the beginning of the cook. If you follow the 1.5 cups of chili powder... It'll be hit enough. 
  • @kidcowboy:  Being from Texas, I like food with heat AND flavor.  I do not appreciate gratuitous heat with no flavor, like using habaneros.  I recommend following the recipe as is, and I think you'll be very satisfied with the heat and flavor.  Enjoy, and good luck in your Viking Packer chili feed! 
    Kelley 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    This is the only chili i will eat with beans. Very good stuff and madly in love with the cook ;)
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.