Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey with Stuffing in the BGE?

mike
mike Posts: 152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anybody tried cooking a stuffed bird in the egg?

Comments

• Mike,
    Hopefully Mad Max will chime in here. I believe he has tried turkeys using bread stuffing, and found that the bread absorbed too much smoke flavor, at least for his family's taste.[p]Brett

• CJ
    CJ Posts: 50
    Mike,
    I believe most food experts recommend making the stuffing separately. Something about it preventing the inside of the Turkey from proper doneness.

• irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    Mike,
    I cooked a 16 pound bird with bread stuffing in the neck end recently. I cooked on a vertical turkey roaster.
    I pushed half the stuffing under the skin onto the breast meat, and the other half of the stuffing into the neck end cavity.
    I found that the breast meat under the stuffing cooked very slowly, while the rest of the turkey cooked as normal. I ended up with half the breast meat cooked, and the other half was way off. The legs and thighs were cooked well before the breast meat under the stuffing.
    My conclusion, I would not cook my stuffing like this again.
    Next time I plan to bone out the legs, stuff them, roll them and cooked them separately in the egg. I reckon I will be able to carve across the roll, and have a lovely slice of leg and stuffing to serve with the breast meat, giving an attractive presentation.
    Roger.

• The Virginian,
    i've never stuffed the bird, cause i have the cavity full of herbs/apple/onion/lemon. .. . i've done the stuffing separately in the egg, but i find that the 'wet bread' REALLY absorbs a lot of smoke. .. .so make sure you either have a really clean egg and established fire, or go ahead and do it in the oven. .. .

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    irishrog,
    Beautiful idea. Post a follow up on your "next time".
    Clay- getting hungry.

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Mike,
    I haven't cooked stuffing in the bird in the egg but I have outside around the leg ends, in the pan the bird was in. It's been posted before, and I agree, that if you want to stuff the bird cook the stuffing (160 degrees is cooked)first and then stuff. This way you can focus on cooking the meat to desired temp and not worry about having the stuffing and turkey cavity underdone.[p]Grandma's Turkey Stuffing:
    Brownberry bread stuffing-large bag
    1/2 stick butter
    1/4 cup corn oil-or oil of choice
    1 egg lightly whisked
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1 cup chopped celery
    2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
    2 teaspoons sugar
    Hot water[p]Saute lightly onion and celery with the butter and oil. In a very large bowl I add Brownberry stuffing with poultry seasoning and sugar, then add the sauted onion, celery, butter and oil then mix well. Next, the whisked egg goes in and I mix again. Then I slowly add hot water a little at a time, mixing untill I have a soft stuffing to my liking.
    Clay