Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone down in Mobile

Options
We will be down there over the weekend Looking for dinner suggestions.

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

HERE!!!!  http://www.wintzellsoysterhouse.com/

My wife and I were there about 3.5 years ago.  After spending the week in Destin with sub-par chain food, I wanted to see the USS Alabama before heading home.  We spent the last night in Mobile and went to Wintzells.  I had the flounder, she had the bacon wrapped jalapeno stuffed shrimp.  Fabulous.

As a side note, Mobile was great and the people were nice.  I don't know if I was overly exhausted with all the overpriced "touristy" crap and treatment in Destin, but Mobile was a wonderful place for the final day before going back to the grind.

• bamafan62
    bamafan62 Posts: 137
    Options
    I second Wintzells. Fried shrimp was to die for!! Phil
  • krobertsmsn
    krobertsmsn Posts: 655
    Options
    I grew up even further south, in Bayou La Batre. That's about 25-30 miles south, right on the water.

Wintzell's is pretty good, but there are better places. What type of food are you interested in and where will you be in Mobile??
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Was Forrest there?
    =))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • krobertsmsn
    Options
    LOL!!! I always say my brother is FG!!!
    Rome, GA
  • krobertsmsn
    Options
    He actually DOES have a shrimp boat. My dad had boats/shop/trucks etc...I grew upon the fresh stuff!!!
    Rome, GA
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    edited March 2014
    Options
    We will stay in mobile Thursday night and then at the sea lab on dauphin island for the weekend. Thinking about skipping over to ocean springs and hitting the shed bbq for lunch on Friday. We have a wintzells here and I have eaten at the one near destin.
  • jamco
    jamco Posts: 13
    Options

Felix's Fish Camp.  Both are good but I'd take Felix's over Wintzell's.

http://www.felixsfishcamp.com/

• Crimsongator
    Options
    I will check. I think Felix's is where we ate down there 3 yrs ago. Definitely worth it
  • injnear
    injnear Posts: 6
    Options

i live in mobile....skip wintzells!!!!

oringinal oyster house or felix's on the causeway. Felix's is a little more upscale and oyster house is more laid back. Oyster house is my favorite of the 2 

Shed is ok bbq

• Whaler
    Whaler Posts: 110
    Options
    Forget the Shed. All hype not that good at all.
    Pensacola,FL
  • Eggpharmer
    Eggpharmer Posts: 479
    Options
    Shed was good several years ago. Quality has gone down and prices have gone up in last few years.
    Austin, TX
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    The Shed is more to see the location and catch up with the folks there. I got to help during their cook for Hoss' Wedding last year when they were up here in Huntsville. The whole hog live was spectacular and I would hate to be that close and not stop in.
  • Crimsongator
    edited March 2014
    Options
    injnear said:

i live in mobile....skip wintzells!!!!

oringinal oyster house or felix's on the causeway. Felix's is a little more upscale and oyster house is more laid back. Oyster house is my favorite of the 2 

Shed is ok bbq

I am certain we ate at Felix's two years ago and really liked it. May check out the original oyster house this time
  • MatAlexander
    Options
    For good, cheap seafood check out the Boiling Pot.
    For BBQ check out the Brick Pit or Moe's Original.
    For the best burger and atmosphere in town, check out Callaghan's.
    Great coffee at Carpe Diem.
    Mobile is a fantastic food city. Enjoy your time there!
    Gadsden, AL
    Twitter: @matalexander

• krobertsmsn
    Options
    @Crimsongater-Perfect!

Go eat at The Lighthouse Restuarant in Bayou La Batre.  It is NOT fancy, but is clean. Shorts and flip flops are the norm. It is a local fav. GPS can take you there or I can give turn by turns. Go relatively early as it can get packed. Try stuffed flounder or my fav- fried shrimp and crab claw dinner. Ave entree around $15. Very FRESH seafood, right off the boats.

Dauphin Island also has some good, fresh seafood.

Good luck. Let me know what you end up doing. I'll be interested>
    Rome, GA
  • krobertsmsn
    Options
    The Boiling Pot is good too! VERY casual.
    Rome, GA
  • krobertsmsn
    Options
    Felix-yes
    Wintzell's-no
    Rome, GA
  • krobertsmsn
    Options
    The Shed is pretty good, again-go EARLY. Their baked potato salad rocks!!
    Rome, GA
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    @Crimsongater-Perfect!

Go eat at The Lighthouse Restuarant in Bayou La Batre.  It is NOT fancy, but is clean. Shorts and flip flops are the norm. It is a local fav. GPS can take you there or I can give turn by turns. Go relatively early as it can get packed. Try stuffed flounder or my fav- fried shrimp and crab claw dinner. Ave entree around $15. Very FRESH seafood, right off the boats.

Dauphin Island also has some good, fresh seafood.

Good luck. Let me know what you end up doing. I'll be interested>

We ate at a place 2 yrs ago on the island. it was a tiny place next to a seafood  market When you hit the last intersection coming on to the island it was just to the right (left would go to the Sea Lab)
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    We ended up trying The Shed for lunch Friday and enjoyed the atmosphere. We got the sampler platter and thought it was good. For diner on the island we ended up going down to Skinner's and getting fresh gulf shrimp,steamed with potatoes, corn and conecuh sausage. We never got to eat in Mobile and were too early to try the Lighthouse.....
  • krobertsmsn
    Options
    Well, hopefully it was delish!! Did you get the pot salad at the Shed?
    Rome, GA
  • Crimsongator
    Options

We did get the potato salad and it was 2nd best only to the banana pudding  :-)