Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I know it's not just me...

Boatswain
Boatswain Posts: 27
edited March 2014 in EggHead Forum
Do you ever hear your friends or co-workers (or boss) talking about what they cooked on their grill and think to yourself (or out loud) how much better it would have been on a BGE?

I just think that everyone should experience the joy of BGE ownership. Is that so wrong?

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    edited March 2014
    All the time. Especially those that talk about how good it was on their gasser. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Our new boss won't stop talking about the pellet cooker he's about to purchase. We've been going rounds all week. Kinda fun, the sparing.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Boatswain
    Boatswain Posts: 27
    Hahaha! Pellet cooker! That's when you go head to head at the next pot luck lunch. (If y'all do that, that is)
  • Big Ragu
    Big Ragu Posts: 148
    I think all of us think this. My fave is when people in the office talk about how great their grilled burgers come out. I remember when I had a gasser and all I cooked was burgers dogs and the occasional chicken tit. I have to remind myself that what we love is not for everybody so I don't ever try to push egging on people unless I know them well.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    I think the best is when you have friends over for dinner and afterwards one of them asks "So where do you buy one of those?"  ;) 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Big Ragu said:

I remember when I had a gasser and all I cooked was burgers dogs and the occasional chicken tit.

Lol...chicken tit...
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    What happens most with me is they stick their heads in and say "What's that smell?".

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• grEGGorys
    grEGGorys Posts: 168
    I tried to convince a friend to get an egg. He is shopping for a new grill. He asked if it was one of those green ones. I laughed and said yes but he doesn't want to mess with charcoal. That was what I said 10 years ago when SWMBO wanted an egg. I got a gasser then and now I see how foolish I was. I have had an egg for a year now and would never go back.
    Gulf Coast FL
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    edited March 2014
    Jeremiah said:
    Our new boss won't stop talking about the pellet cooker he's about to purchase. We've been going rounds all week. Kinda fun, the sparing.
    Jeremiah since you are in Aiken I was wondering if your boss is getting a Rec Tec pellet cooker? 

I don't see the attraction myself, but maybe I am missing out on something. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Jeffroe189
    Jeffroe189 Posts: 273
    I remember when I had a gasser and all I cooked was burgers dogs and the occasional chicken tit.
    Lol...chicken tit...
    That's nice!!
    Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE, MiniMax, Blackstone
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412

Jeremiah said:

Jeremiah since you are in Aiken I was wondering if your boss is getting a Rec Tec pellet cooker? 

I don't see the attraction myself, but maybe I am missing out on something. 

Yeah. He says he knows the owner of the company. At least I'll have someone to talk bbq with. :)
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Funny... Mrs. TOTN and I were in BB&B yesterday and a couple was looking for a wireless meat thermometer in the same area where we were. I asked him a couple questions, including what he was cooking, to see if I could offer some advice. He mentioned that he was cooking a prime rib and, I could tell from the "bankish look on his face when I started asking about dual probes, etc. that he was probably in way over his head. I couldn't help but feel bad for the prime rib. He was planning to cook it yesterday evening so I knew pitching the BGE to him was of no use!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I don't mean to buck the trend here .. and I enjoy the egg as a very versatile tool, moreover this website as a tremendous source if information and inspiration for many .. but don't you guys give yourselves any credit? The egg is a wonderful tool for many jobs .. but i'm always most proud of the things i pull off the camp style grills at the beach when they come out good.  

Learning one's equipment is critically important .. and I think after making an egg kind of dollar investment that most folks do jump in and educate themselves and thus make quality food. Sure, there is something to be said for heat and moisture retention .. but I'm not sold on anything other than a competent cook behind the wheel, er .. egg.