Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Replacing Felt Rings

Options
Cooking out on BGE several weeks ago. Weather had been unnormally freezing cold. I literally could not open BGE. Used my electric starter blaster to pour heat down through the dome for about 10 minutes. I figured grease had acted like glue to seal top to the egg. Anyone had similar experience? Can these felt rings be replaced easily? BTW age of Egg about 8 years. Thx for all replies.

Comments

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    You are talking about the gasket between the dome and the base.  Yes it can be replaced.  I suggest that you contact RRP on this forum for a new gasket that will last forever.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    edited March 2014
    Options
    If you still have some charcoal in the base, take a lit starter cube or torch and insert through the bottom draft door to light the remaining coal with the top cap removed.  Let it get to about 300 dome temp for 15 minutes or so and the gasket will generally release.  This has happened to me twice this past winter and I just place my hands around the dome in several spots to sense when the lower edge is warm enough to release.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    You should buy a Rutland gasket from RRP.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    A way to prevent the gasket freeze when finished with the cook is to put aluminum foil on the base gasket around the circumference and then shut the dome.  Easy open the next time-and will hold you til new gasket installed.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TigerDunes
    Options
    Thank you for replies...is new felt rings/gasket easy to install?....
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Once you replace the cheap felt (or Nomex), and replace with a fiberglass or woven ceramic, it should never be a problem again since neither absorbs water.