Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

corned beef question

Options
Have a brisket in brining for corned beef for Saturday. Going to pull it out on Saturday AM, let it soak all day in water to pull out some of the salt and then smoke it. Need some recommendations on smoking it. I am thinking low and slow but last time I did that it was an epic fail and it turned into cubed meat for stews and chilis. 

Thoughts?

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If you smoke corned beef, you're making pastrami.  If you're going corned beef, you don't need to soak, all that extra salt makes a nice broth with the boil water that's excellent for cabbage.

If you do smoke, I rub with a 50/50 coriander/pepper mix, no salt needed.  I smoke slowly with very little if any wood until 160-170.  Then refrigerate overnight and steam for a few hours before serving.  You can also smoke until tender, which will likely be at a lower final temp than un-corned (non-cured) brisket.  Just check for tenderness after around 170 until it's tender.
    Options
    i only like smoked cornbeef if its sliced really thin and steamed for reubens. just smoked and served its too salty for me, i prefer it simmered until it falls apart
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    This is something I had bookmarked:

It sounds pretty much just like what @Nolaegghead suggested, just a few more ingredients in the rub.  

I haven't tried this.  It definitely takes some advanced planning!  Once you have corned beef, it seems like it takes a couple of days to get to ready-to eat pastrami.  If you have corned beef on Saturday, you soak until Sunday, smoke, then refrigerate until Monday.  

I'm wondering if you could consolidate the last couple of steps.  Could you smoke it to 160 or so, then immediately move it into a steam pan so it could be served the same day? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    Options
    10.4 will simmer it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    edited March 2014
    Options

It sounds pretty much just like what @Nolaegghead suggested, just a few more ingredients in the rub.  

I haven't tried this.  It definitely takes some advanced planning!  Once you have corned beef, it seems like it takes a couple of days to get to ready-to eat pastrami.  If you have corned beef on Saturday, you soak until Sunday, smoke, then refrigerate until Monday.  

I'm wondering if you could consolidate the last couple of steps.  Could you smoke it to 160 or so, then immediately move it into a steam pan so it could be served the same day? 

thirdeye has a good writeup on techniques, smoke it then into a pressure cooker is the way to go for pastrami
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options

this looks great,   I'll have to do this one.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• nozob1
    nozob1 Posts: 43
    Options
    am trying Malcom Reed (HowtoBBQrRight) way of smoking it part way , then braising it on the Egg. I have no idea how it will be, salty, overly tough...not sure. Will let you know how it comes out! http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uAPd79VFJP4
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I did a couple of them a few years ago. Socked them for abot 2 days and changed the water out 2 or 3 times. Robed them with the normal pastrami seasonings, smoked them to about 165 or so. Pulled them, warped them in foil and served them an hour later and they were awesome. It was better a few days later too.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • fletcherfam
    Options
    Going to go traditional and boil it starting at about 1:00pm. Will let you know how it turns out.
  • nozob1
    nozob1 Posts: 43
    Options
    I did mine on the egg..smoking on the grid for 1 1/2 hrs (Fat side down)...then put them in a large pan...filled it 3/4 with water, covered tightly with foil. It is done now and unbelievably moist, tender and full of flavor! I will do mine like this form now on.
  • fletcherfam
    Options
    This turned out amazing!!! Fed 5 adults and 4 children, everyone absolutely loved it. It was super moist and fall apart tender. One guy (age 62) said it was the best corned beef he had ever had. Cabbage was off the hook as well. Highly highly recommend amazing ribs recipe for corned beef, this will become more regular in our house for sure! Super easy to do as well.
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    This turned out amazing!!! Fed 5 adults and 4 children, everyone absolutely loved it. It was super moist and fall apart tender. One guy (age 62) said it was the best corned beef he had ever had. Cabbage was off the hook as well. Highly highly recommend amazing ribs recipe for corned beef, this will become more regular in our house for sure! Super easy to do as well.

I am  a little confused,  which corn beef recipe did you use?  or did you do pastrami?

Thank you

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• fletcherfam
    Options
    Amazing ribs. Com has a recipe for doing corned beef, I did their recipe and simmered it like they said.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    For the lazy :)

Note this is just the brine steps (gives you raw corned beef), then there are several options for how you cook it (traditional, pastrami, etc):

5) Now decide which path you want to follow. You can make traditional corned beef and cabbage boiled dinner, you can make corned beef hash, you can make Rockin Reuben Sandwiches, or turn it into Close to Katz's Pastrami.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.