Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mickey's Coffee Rub on spares = A WINNER!!!

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,887
edited March 2014 in EggHead Forum
As promised here is my report on using his rub on spares yesterday. They rocked! First here is a shot when they first went on. BTW this was at the largest slab of flap meat I have ever encountered!

To keep the test clean I ate the flap meat with no sauce and it rocked!!! then I did go ahead and sauce my ribs with 50/50 Blues Original and Blue's Tennessee Red and they are mighty delicious! Thanks Mickey!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• chainsaw19
    chainsaw19 Posts: 257
    Question for you, I am not a coffee drinker--dont like the taste of coffee, but I have heard from some that the taste of these coffee rubs actually changes and it is a different flavor altogether.  Is this your take or will I still get the coffee flavor coming through on this type of rub.
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • RRP
    No I can't say I tasted the coffee so yes it must change. As for the coffee itself it is an extremely fine grind almost like table salt. If the smell of coffee turns you off then rubbing the meat may bother you as the smell in the raw state is clearly there, but not after the cook. HTH.
  • chainsaw19
    chainsaw19 Posts: 257
    I dont mind the smell of it so much, and I have heard the taste post cooking is different so I was just looking to confirm before giving one of these rubs a shot.  Thanks for the feedback.
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188

I had a similar question regarding the ancho pepper in the rub.  It is not an issue from my experience.  None of the ingredients overpowers any of the others.  There are enough different flavors going on that nothing in particular comes to the forefront of the mix.  I would suggest on your first trial to make a small batch and give it a try on a chicken.  No big investment if you do not like it.

A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    I hate coffee chainsaw19...you'll be fine with the rub. It's in my normal rotation.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251

the coffee rub is great on spatchcock chicken, definitely doesn't leave a coffee flavor.

Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • RRP
    BTW I substituted Mexene brand Chili Powder for the ancho pepper and was happy with it.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Lookin good buddy, nice ring
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• RRP
    Focker said:
    Lookin good buddy, nice ring
    Thanks, Brandon - I thought the same thing - but you know what?...there was no wood chips nor chunks in that cook! Nothing but 50-50 previously used RO and new RO. Made me scratch my head wondering what I thought I knew about smoke rings!
  • I hear - all the time on here - about Mickey's coffee rub.  There are many posts referencing the recipe.  But, can someone post the "official" recipe?

...much appreciated!
  • RRP
    I hear - all the time on here - about Mickey's coffee rub.  There are many posts referencing the recipe.  But, can someone post the "official" recipe?

...much appreciated!
    MICKEY'S COFFEE RUB

1/4 cup brown sugar 
    1/4 cup Medaglia d’Oro instant espresso coffee
    1/4 cup ancho chili powder *

2 T. garlic powder 
    2 T. ground black pepper 
    2 T. kosher salt 

Mix all and keep in an air-tight container.

I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area (have used both light or dark version).

I make it starting with a half cup of Instant espresso ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.

* Ancho chili powder can be reduced to 3 T. if desired.