Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Boston Butt Pulled Pork - In The Rain x 2

LegedoujLegedouj Posts: 24
Came out GREAT!  Good bark and real juicy. 

Saturday night about 9:30PM I had the meat on around 275-300 @ the grill (grill was outdoors and it poured!). Went to bed and woke up a 7AM, temp was at 175.  Opened up the vents a bit and temp slowly came up to 300, wrapped in foil at 9AM, internal was about 165.  It got to 190 by 10:15AM.  FTC till 11:30AM then pulled. Unreal.

Let shoulders get to room temp, rinsed, dried then coated with mustard and Emeril's Essence seasoning. Used big chunks of Hickory. 

2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme

Pre.JPG 821.8K
Cooked.JPG 877.2K

• Chris_WangChris_Wang Posts: 1,253
    Cool, good stuff.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 7,573
    Looking good!  I have purchased the big jar of Emeril's essence at Costco and it makes a great base for a rub.  I mix it with turbinado sugar and dry mustard powder.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• tulocaytulocay Posts: 1,737
    Looks great!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • chainsaw19chainsaw19 Posts: 257
    Looks perfect, nice job.
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,978
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I'm about to cook another double boston butt, what temp do you suggest??? I got a DigiQ DX2 for Christmas so low temps will be easier.
  • With a controller, it really depends on how long you want to cook IMHO. 250-275 works well for me, but I'm controller-less.
    Jason NW GA- home of carpet and Mexican restaurants
    LBGE, MM, BS (Blackstone and the other kind)
    One sorry Labrador
  • Jeepster47Jeepster47 Posts: 2,620
    Legedouj said:
    I'm about to cook another double boston butt, what temp do you suggest??? I got a DigiQ DX2 for Christmas so low temps will be easier.
    Since it'll be your first run with the DigiQ, you might consider aiming for 250 degrees.  That will give you some room (up and down) to recover from if things go astray on your first use. 

Scan through these threads to take advantage of input from others:

• I'm going to start around 5:30pm. And cook at 250F. Will post pics. If they are ready early then they'll just sit in the cooler.
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 8,952
    If you start at 5:30 and cook at 250, they could be done in the middle of the night. At 250, 1.5-2 hrs per lb is the rule of thumb, but you never know. IMO, 5 hrs is max in the cooler.

If you’re afraid of butter, use cream.    Julia Child

Central Connecticut