Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Ribs

Options
SSN686
SSN686 Posts: 3,504
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Morning All:[p]Last evening as my wife and I were checking out at the grocery store I got a phone call from Jaymer telling me he had gotten a case of beef short ribs from either Sam's or Costco (don't remember which) and did I want some. Well I met him and grabbed on cryovac bag of ribs. It turned out the ribs weren't exactly "short" ribs, more of a "slab" of beef ribs. Below is a pic after I trimmed, cut into individual ribs and rubbed.[p]PB130083.jpg[p]I put them on this morning at about 8:00am. Setup was the platesetter (feet up) holding the drip pan and the grid on the feet. I wanted to cook at about 250, but the large just wanted to set at 275 so that works for me. Left for church at about 8:45 and everything was sailing along nicely. Got back home just after 1:00pm and took a look under the dome to find this,[p]PB130088.jpg[p]I added some sauce and let them go another 20 to 30 minutes and they are quite tasty. Here is a close up of some of the meat cut off the bone.[p]PB130092.jpg[p]I probably should have let some of the larger/thicker ribs go a little longer, but overall a good cook. Looks like some nice lunches this week![p]Have a GREAT day!
Jay[p]

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

Comments

• jaymer
    jaymer Posts: 49
    Options
    Jay,
    actually, those came from my meat wholesaler, not costco or sams... aint never seen anything like these from those stores.

what i ordered was a 'beef back rib', or thats what my rep called it. What was delivered was more expensive and the label says 'chuck short rib'... well if these are short we'd die if we could see the big versions.

they were absolutely huge - must be a good time for huge cows or something's in the water. after researching 10 other beef rib threads last night, i decided on these points:
    1) pull the membrance - was easy
    2) rubbed the meat side
    3) cooked meat side up, bone down
    4) 5+ hours at least
    5) 225 (though some other recipes were at 275)

our first one was absolutely fabulous.
    the second slab was buried under the raised grid and wasn't cooked enough (should have noticed and seen that the bone wasn't exposed). after 4 hours when we came back from church, i swapped the top/bottom slabs, but that didn't help enough.
    another slab that was exposed outside of my drip pan got way too much heat and it turned to roast beef - yucky.

also, i didn't pre-cut mine, though i have back in my old gas-grill days 20 yrs ago. there's more edge exposed and more place to spread a sauce, but these were so nice inside when we sliced them that i think i'd keep doing it as an intact slab.

i still have 4 more slabs left over, so i'll get my firebricks and indirect stuff in order and will give it another go. i think i'd like to sauce more often, go 7 hrs at 225 and rotate top & bottom slabs.

glad you enjoyed them...
    jaymer...
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    SSN686, I do a whole 7 bone rack in 5-6 hours at 250

• cousintx
    Options
    Those look great! Did my first set of beef ribs saturday night. 250 degrees indirect for about 6 hours. Last 3 hours covered in a tinfoil pan swimming in coors light. Straight out of the Dr. BBQ book.

Presentation is lacking in the picture, had vultures circling.
  • cousintx
    Options
    Couldn't post the picture. They did look good though.
  • cousintx
    Options
    Those look great! Did my first set of beef ribs saturday night. 250 degrees indirect for about 6 hours. Last 3 hours covered in a tinfoil pan. Straight out of the Dr. BBQ book.

Presentation is lacking in the picture, had vultures circling.
  • SSN686,[p]These look so good!! I've been cooking a lot more beef ribs lately for my family as we are starting to like their taste and tenderness better than pork spares.[p]Howard