Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Okay new eggheads!

Options
cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
edited March 2014 in EggHead Forum
You just got your egg, you're starting to get some cooks in...here is some advice that I think will help you.  

Don't forget everything you know about barbecue, just start forgetting all the extra stuff you did to make your barbecue have moisture or taste better.  Start simple, get some cooks under your belt, then tweak from there.  This is unlike any cooker you've probably cooked on, it's efficient, it's easy, and it will turn out great product if you give it a chance.  This is not a Weber Kettle, a stick burner, or a gasser.

Please understand that a perfectly cooked cut of meat will be juicy and flavorful off the egg, so start with having a great thermometer like the Thermapen.  Reference one of the many meat temperature guides to know when your meat is ready.  Cook to temperature, not time!  

For now, leave your injections, brines, marinades, foil, water pans, and spray bottles in the cupboard.  There is a place for several of those, especially brines and marinades if your recipe calls for it, but for now, lets skip doctoring up every piece of meat and just keep it simple.  Get an understanding how a seasoned chicken breast cooks on the egg, and tweak from there if you need to.  You just might find that you get similar or better results with a lot less dang work.   Another example is the famous 3/2/1 rib method...I can promise you that the person who came up with this method was not using an egg.  Once you acknowledge that the majority of the techniques you're using are designed for other cooking vessels or competition barbecue, I think you'll grow as a cook.  

I love to try different techniques, but for now, I just want you start with the basics before you get all Weird Science on a beautiful cut of meat.  Good luck and welcome aboard!

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Options
    A+ Cazzy
    Toronto
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    So this is what happens to you when you don't eat to much and way over drink? How is the ankle?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Great advice.
    Options
    Mickey said:
    So this is what happens to you when you don't eat to much and way over drink? How is the ankle?
    I see what you did there Mickey.  The knee is about 10% better...going to try to get an orthopedic appointment tomorrow.  We shall see.
  • Mickey
    Options
    You were missed my friend. And talked about.......
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Cazzy great advice.  Missed seeing/meeting you. I hope the knee is ok.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • cazzy
    Options

Cazzy great advice.  Missed seeing/meeting you. I hope the knee is ok.  

Same here Joan! I may just show up to Austin Eggfest...we'll see.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I'll add have a way to cook indirect but don't buy a bunch of stuff you don't need. Wait on your table for a while....your needs/wants will certainly change. Make your own decisions on others advice. I don't have an AR but some will say you need one. Slowly work your way into your accessories so you don't waste money...unless you have money to waste.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    And make sure you register your Egg and keep your receipt just in case. Going through a warranty claim on a 2 1/2 yo Egg and hoping to not have an issue.
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited March 2014
    Options
    All well said. I cooked straight up standard for 8 years before I bought one accessory. I didn't have a raised grid, multiple level cooking, spider with lowered grid or a temp controller until the last 6-9 months. I bought a thermapen last year. All things that make my life easier but you can do 90% of what we can do right out of the box. Even though I love all my toys, the only thing that helped me make better food was the thermapen. I would buy a one or the cheaper one today if I were you. everything else can wait if you need to.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mickey
    Options
    Plus 1 to what Cen-Tex said: The Therapen will make you a better cook both inside and cooking outside.

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Crap cazzy. If you'd have written this post back in august, you would've saved me a lot of trouble. :-B
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • BigGreenRam
    Options
    Ha! Got an egg in December and it was as if I completely forgot how to grill for some reason. I guess it was intimidation. Finally getting in the groove and feeling comfortable. Great advice all around.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    As a newbie this is great advice I also bookmarked the BGE Newbie Quick Start Guide. I go back to that quite often. I am enjoying the learning curve and all the prep work before the cook. Also this great forum and humor !!!
    <:-P
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Options
    thanks cazzy, the 3/2/1 method for baby back ribs does not work.
  • henapple
    Options
    Why not?
  • Ktim
    Options
    It is too long on at 250 on the egg and the ribs get mushy.Might be OK for spares but not for baby backs.
  • henapple
    Options
    At that time don't foil...
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @Ktim-The foil step is where the ribs take on the mush texture.  Just eggsperiment with various techniques to find what you like.  Many will cook X-0-0.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options

The first accessory to buy is a Richards Simmons tape.... you can outcook your metabolism in a hurry. 

And drinking threads are not "OT".
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    The new eggheads might be a little confused when they see the Cazzy's Wings recipe with the complex marinating and basting process ;P.  

Cazzy is an enigma, wrapped in a riddle...wrapped in bacon. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• cazzy
    edited March 2014
    Options

The new eggheads might be a little confused when they see the Cazzy's Wings recipe with the complex marinating and basting process ;P.  

Cazzy is an enigma, wrapped in a riddle...wrapped in bacon. 
    LOL...that didn't take long. ;) That's why I put this in there:

'There is a place for several of those, especially brines and marinades if your recipe calls for it, but for now, lets skip doctoring up every piece of meat and just keep it simple.'

My wings are the most difficult thing I cook. Probably why I only make them twice a year. :P
  • Ktim
    Options
    Thanks,Lousubcap and Henapple.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I can't disagree more with my friend Cazzy. Lookit, here's what you do:
    1. Jump right in and make something complex! Go big or go home, right? We learn more by failing than succeeding so I say maximize your educational experience.
    2. Thermometers are for amatures. Learn to cook by squishing the meat to guage firmness.
    3. Use as much aparatus as you're man enough to handle. This adds to the complexity and enhances your educational experience. Oh, I can't stress this enough: Inject! Inject! inject!
    4. Always use the 3-2-1 method for ribs. There is no other method.

You'll thank me for this.
    Flint, Michigan
  • corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Options
    100% AGREE! Thermapen is your best friend.  I used to spend hours on rub, glazes, etc.  Now I used pre-made rubs which are just as good and just throw on egg and let it do the work.  Thermapen gets you perfectly cooked meat every time.  Sometimes simple is better!

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

• henapple
    Options
    @Fred19Flintstone‌ is a crackhead. ..never mind him.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    henapple said:

@Fred19Flintstone‌ is a crackhead. ..never mind him.

I never touch such chemicals. However, crackpot might be more accurate.
    Flint, Michigan
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    Also - Do a search before you post.  Everyone here is glad to help but a search may answer your question or give you additional information before you post - Ask me how I know.  Happy St Paddy's Day Everyone!  Doing corned beef tonight of course.
    Milton, GA.
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    Options
    I couldn't have said it better great advice !!!!
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.