Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick or Thermoworks TW8060

Options
My iGrill probes failed this last cook, so I am looking for a new thermometer. Should I replace it with a Maverick or a TW8030? I am leaning toward the Thermoworks device because it uses better probes. I know the TW8030 doesn't have remote monitoring capability, but I thought I could set an old iPod Touch in front of it and FaceTime from my iPad when I wanted to check temps. I'm looking for advice from owners of either device. Thanks!

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

Comments

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

I own a Maverick and am completely happy with it.

Whatever else I may buy over the years, there will always be a Mav out on the back deck.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

I don't think anyone can say a bad thing about the Thermoworks model--those are pretty bullet proof.

The main things the Maverick ET-733 has over it is:

-Price: You can buy two Mavericks for the price of one TW

-Remote:  300ft range on the Maverick, zero on the TW

-Waterproof sender:  Not sure about the TW, but I wouldn't want to leave it outside!

-Display: Maverick shows the high/low alarm temps on the main screen rather than in a sub menu.

The TW does have much better probes, but they can fail just like anything else.  In the long run, the Maverick gives you a lot more options (mainly remote), for half the price.  As long as you have a Thermapen, you have the reliability and accuracy aspect nailed.

• laserdoc85
    laserdoc85 Posts: 577
    Options
    Thermoworks. I don't wander 300 feet let alone 50 feet from the egg while I'm cooking. If your 300 feet away I hope your at the store or cutting the grass. I just did not see the sense for a thermometer with the long range option. Once your dialed in your dialed in anyway. And I bet your watching the temp on the egg close up most of the time anyway.
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    The Maverick will allow you to get more sleep, on low and slow cooks. If you add a PartyQ, or other basic pit controller, you will have everything you really need for the cost of one TW kit.
    Dave - Austin, TX