Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT, OT, OT. Missing plane

Tjcoley
Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
My Hyundai just sent me an email saying the tire pressure, air bags, transmission, oil pressure, smart key, and multiple other systems are functioning properly. It has also alerted me when the alarm was pocket activated, telling me the time and location. I can remote start it with my phone, and remote open the locks no matter where it is. I can push a button and have emergency help find me if needed. I can go on line and 'find my iPhone' if I lose it. Why can't we find a multiple million dollar 777 airplane?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    valid point, but can your Hyundai detect a loose nut behind the wheel?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Oceans are big, planes are very small.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    I think additional systems/procedures will be mandated very soon.

This is incredibly odd...   :-$

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    On the theme of off topic, I have had such a feud with Hyunday over their on-line features.  I am totally pissed at them, and this is over his and her's Sonatas purchased at the same time.  First time I ever bought two cars at once.  It is so obviously a programing/software issue but they went so far as to tell me the features that don't work, were not options on my cars, while at the same time sending me emails extolling the very same features.  They had my Sonata in the shop for almost two weeks  before they just said they can't fix it, and these are cars still under warranty.  Between my children, one wrecked by a rear end accident, and the current ones I have bought a total of 5 Hyundays.  It is very doubtful I will buy another.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Hell, my tennis racket sends me emails.
    NOLA
  • dstrbd488
    dstrbd488 Posts: 66
    My personal belief is that they know where it's at but the goverment doesn't want to so its hand at their survalance capabilities and if our gov doesn't then one of the other spy powers does
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Charles Widmore is behind it all.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

This is some scary stuff.......If that plane landed somewhere, it's being turned into a missile.  They could have landed in a lot of places, but there are only so many it could have been hidden or taken off on a full load off fuel--and I'm sure we have eyes on most of them anyway.  Still scary, but I have faith that it would be blown our of the sky long before it got to the US.  If I was on the other side of the world I would be getting ready to duck and cover.

There's a reason they climbed to 45,000ft--to quietly kill the passengers and remaining crew.  At that altitude, whoever was piloting had an ample amount of O2 on a rapid deploy mask.  But everyone else quietly went to sleep and died from hypoxia.

From there, that plane flew for up to 5 hours over or to a lot of countries that do not like the US.  They can claim they didn't see it on their radar, but we will never know.  As bad as it sounds, best case scenario is that it was a solo suicide mission, or the thing ran out of gas prior to reaching its destination.

• csmith321
    csmith321 Posts: 11
    Bottom line I would like to be changed - NO pilot should be able to deactivate their tracking/locator systems or any system that is pinging information to their manufacturer's systems.  If this was not possible - we would not be watching these reports at this time.  You have hundreds of souls on board an aircraft - anything less than this is inexcusable in today's era.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Something is definitely fishy.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    I'll bet it was Bush's fault.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• stlcharcoal
    csmith321 said:
    Bottom line I would like to be changed - NO pilot should be able to deactivate their tracking/locator systems or any system that is pinging information to their manufacturer's systems.  If this was not possible - we would not be watching these reports at this time.  You have hundreds of souls on board an aircraft - anything less than this is inexcusable in today's era.

As much as agree with you in this case, bottom line is that the pilot in command needs to have absolute authority of all systems on the aircraft.  Look how many Airbus's have crashed because the pilot's couldn't deactivate the computer.  Some have been saved at the last second by the pilots knowing which circuit breakers to pull.

The transponder has to be able to be deactivated.  Reason is, if it starts to malfunction and send out erroneous info, it can cause havoc on ATC and other aircraft with TCAS.  In 20 yrs of flying I have been asked dozens of times to recycle my transponder and twice to shut it off altogether.

On the other satellite systems, there may not be an operational reason to shut it down, but there has to be a circuit breaker for it somewhere.

Bad people are going to find a way to do bad things no matter what kind of roadblocks you put up.

• RV10Flyer
    RV10Flyer Posts: 140
    Well said @stlcharcoal. Few things will make your butt pucker like smelling smoke in the cockpit. You need the ability to shut off electronics to stop the possible cause and troubleshoot the issue as you bring systems back online one at a time.

North Texas

XL and Small BGE

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    On the theme of off topic, I have had such a feud with Hyunday over their on-line features.  I am totally pissed at them, and this is over his and her's Sonatas purchased at the same time.  First time I ever bought two cars at once.  It is so obviously a programing/software issue but they went so far as to tell me the features that don't work, were not options on my cars, while at the same time sending me emails extolling the very same features.  They had my Sonata in the shop for almost two weeks  before they just said they can't fix it, and these are cars still under warranty.  Between my children, one wrecked by a rear end accident, and the current ones I have bought a total of 5 Hyundays.  It is very doubtful I will buy another.

Doc, might be time to look at a Toyota :-t No, don't sell them anymore so I can say it.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    @stlcharcoal‌ and here I thought you sold charcoal?
    Dunedin, FL
  • stlcharcoal
    yzzi said:
    @stlcharcoal‌ and here I thought you sold charcoal?

....and real estate too.  It's a one stop shop.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    I assume it's just an elaborate ploy by JJ Abrams to promote "Lost" the movie.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike