Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3 Tier Grid Instead of AR

Has anyone bought this or used it yet. I have the plate setter for the XL and am thinking of getting this instead of the AR. http://www.amazon.com/Green-Level-Cooking-Grid-Large/dp/B00CRKZJ98/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1394942376&sr=8-8&keywords=big+green+egg+grill+extender
XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

• 3 tier is for Large Egg only.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• GoVols
    GoVols Posts: 216
    Get the AR.
    Tim Rickman,Tn.
  • Jeffroe189
    Jeffroe189 Posts: 273
    I would get the AR. I have had mine for 3 months and love it. I use it on every cook now.
    Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE, MiniMax, Blackstone
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    The AR will be my next purchase, but not for a while. Have to save up some money and sell the wife on it. Maybe get before the 4th of July for my 50th.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • GoVols said:
    Get the AR.
    This.  It just gives you so much more flexibility than anything else.  And I would get the Woo2 and pizza stone.  This allows you to do raised direct, and also allows you to do pizzas.
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • I may be missing something but I don't think you need the woo and AR? I think it's either one or the other. You can do everything the woo can do and then way more with the AR. I would recommend adding the rig extender with sliding grid, a spider and small cast iron grid. This will give you the max flexibility with your AR. You can sear at the lump level, cook direct or indirect high and low in the dome, do Pizzas up high on the extender. I have the oval R&B combo but I also have the 13 inch stone that fits in the spider so you can use that for indirect and have more room on the rig for big cooks.

It worth saving up for and getting the best setup. I spent all kinds of money of stuff I do t use anymore. The AR replaced them all. I should have bought it years ago.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    I cannot comment on the AR but I did go down the BGE 3 tier rat hole.  That center piece support is quite a limiter-you can work with it but anything without an obstacle in the middle is much more user friendly.  I have assigned mine to the garage since getting a swing rack about three years ago.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited March 2014
    They are clunky as hell and not worth $89. If you want to save some money and still have a great setup, buy the swing grid post for the group buy last year and a med grid. I set up my neighbor, nephew and buddy with that setup and they love it. It's simple, inexpensive and flexible (raised direct and indirect with plate setter).

I'll find the link to it but it's a nice little setup for like $75. Way better than the 3-tier.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    The biggest advantage I see of having the Woo is you have a larger cooking area at the felt line with the Woo then the AR. I usually can fit 4 butts on the Woo and I like doing butts on a single level better then multi level. I'm about the only person I know who has both and believe me, you will find benefits for both on different types of cooks.
  • Ladeback69
    To The Cen-Tex Smoker, I have seen that link before and am interested, but who do you contact to get one? I have an XL and my neighbour has a large. Do you have any contact info for it? Do like it better then the AR?

Kansas City, Mo.
  • The biggest advantage I see of having the Woo is you have a larger cooking area at the felt line with the Woo then the AR. I usually can fit 4 butts on the Woo and I like doing butts on a single level better then multi level. I'm about the only person I know who has both and believe me, you will find benefits for both on different types of cooks.

Cool. Great insight. I prefer 1 lever low and slows as well. Better bark and more stable temps.
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    The biggest advantage I see of having the Woo is you have a larger cooking area at the felt line with the Woo then the AR. I usually can fit 4 butts on the Woo and I like doing butts on a single level better then multi level. I'm about the only person I know who has both and believe me, you will find benefits for both on different types of cooks.
    HJ, will the Woo fit over the platesetter legs up to allow raised indirect or do the legs make it unstable? I primarily want it for raised direct and the wife wants to use her wok on the Egg, but wondered about this before purchasing the Woo.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • To The Cen-Tex Smoker, I have seen that link before and am interested, but who do you contact to get one? I have an XL and my neighbour has a large. Do you have any contact info for it? Do like it better then the AR?

My shop carries them. I think eggcelsior was involved in this somehow. Hopefully he will chime in.

I actually gave mine to a buddy and bought 2 more to give to new egg owners. I did like it but I prefer the AR because it's a little more flexible. I just bought a new egg last night and I'm going to add this setup to it. That way I'll have one AR and one swing grid w/Platesetter set up at a times. Just figured that out. Glad this came up.

If you can't find one let me know and I'll get you one from my shop and mail it to you.
  • Ladeback69
    I got the plate setter with my egg and figured I would get the AR so I could use my 7 QT dutch oven on the bottom and do a butt or brisket on top while smoking. I know I would need air space between the plate setter and oven or it would get to hot. Would the AR work with this idea? Its about 5" tall. I was thinking of getting the A woo 2 combo.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Cen-Tex do you know what this grill extender is called?  It makes it easier to find through google, maybe there is somewhere it can be bought online.  Something like this seems like a good option considering the price of shipping on the AR.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    lol I went through that whole thread a few days ago and I realized I must not have read the very first post.  I think I might just make one of my own, it will probably been less of a pain in the ass then searching for an online retailer.  Thanks for the link
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    lol - it happen man. There are so many ways to skin a cat. Guys are really creative on here. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD