Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Veggie's on the BGE. Help Please!

Options

I have a aluminum foil pan full of veggies (fingerling potatoes, carrots and onion) with a half inch of chicken stock and I was thinking of putting it direct on the grate (no plate setter) than 3 clay pots and a 18 inch grate to do a raised direct spatch **** chicken on my XL, is this doable, this will put the chicken about 2 inches above the felt. I was thinking of going 375 dome. Any thoughts and suggestions. I hope to start this in 3 hours....

Thanks,

Chuck King

Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE

Comments

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Here's the veggies!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    I did a similar cook last week (350-400*F) but went indirect and I gave the chix around a 15 minute head-start; limiting factor for me size of potatoes.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Cooked that way you should just do what you would in an oven.  A topping of grated cheese is a nice touch.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Grillmagic
    Options

If I go plate setter in legs up then grate and pan of veggies and clay pots it puts the chicken about 4 1/2 inches above the felt, what's your thoughts, the reason I was considering going direct was to get the chicken lower in the dome.

BIG THANKS!!!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Chix higher in the dome indirect is a pretty benign cook.  Direct will also work as noted by @Doc above-I just prefer indirect with a pan of veggies-beyond that no big deal either way. Pick one and go-enjoy the eats as they will be tasty either way.  then next time try the other ...hard to hose this up as long as you monitor the chix temp.  FWIW- and just an opinion and we all know what those are worth!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Chix higher in the dome indirect is a pretty benign cook.  Direct will also work as noted by @Doc above-I just prefer indirect with a pan of veggies-beyond that no big deal either way. Pick one and go-enjoy the eats as they will be tasty either way.  then next time try the other ...hard to hose this up as long as you monitor the chix temp.  FWIW- and just an opinion and we all know what those are worth!
    Actually there is a very dirty PS underneath that.  I only did veggies that way once, trying to simplify for the biggest (most people) cook I ever did.  It worked very well.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Grillmagic
    Options
    Quick update, chicken on for about 45 minute, veggies 30 minutes, chicken breast at 140, dome at 375
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    A pan of veggies underneath the cook, to catch the juice, works very well.

• Grillmagic
    Options
    Update on this cook, I pulled everything when the Chicken was done 1 hour and 20 min. and it was Great however the veggies could have went a little longer. I should have put them on at the same time as the chicken, the veggies cooked for 65 minutes at 375 and I thought they would be done so I shut the egg down while the chicken rested and I should have checked to see if they were done. They would have been done in that time in the oven, maybe I should have covered with foil for half the cook
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I usually put them on at the same time. Just check occasionally and pull when at the desired doneness. Keep warm in the oven. I coat with evo and Julio's seasoning but only enough broth to keep the bottom from burning.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN