Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

St. Louis style pork steaks

Options
bettysnephew
bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
edited March 2014 in EggHead Forum
Got some good looking pork steaks at the local Hy Vee and want to do them in the St. Louis style. I had them once years ago when I visited my original home town (we lived in Richmond Heights) and really liked them. I have a bottle of Maull's so I am set in that category. My question is how do I cook them? Sear and slow, reverse sear, indirect, direct? I have done a search and seem to find "all of the above" The only thing that seems consistent is to sauce them late in the cook and let it carmelize. Can anyone from the area give me a hint? Any wood on the coals and what kind?
A poor widows son.
See der Rabbits, Iowa

Comments

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    We do St Louis pork steak all the time. Sear both sides a high temp place steaks in pan with the Bud and the Mauls. Cover with HDAL and cook at 350-375 indirect at felt line until fork tender. Remove steaks from sauce and grill direct for couple minutes for couple minutes per side. Strain any grease from the sauce and serve.
    Variation we do at fest. Equal amounts of a good q sauce and beer. Add halved onions and whole carrots with steaks in the sauce. Serve steaks with crushed taters and garlic bread.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    @Austin_Egghead Thanks that helps a bunch. Sometimes too much info on the search is worse than none. XL was frozen shut from last nights snow, but a liberal application of the Mapp torch below the grid lit the lump and things are heating up now. I am looking forward to this cook and will hve leftovers for work this week also. Thanks again, I was beginning to think everyone was nursing hangovers.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited March 2014
    Options

Here's the best way I've found.....reverse sear:

http://grillinfools.com/blog/2010/05/10/reverse-seared-pork-steaks/

Their method was front page material on FEAST magazine:

http://issuu.com/feaststl/docs/june_2013_issue/1?e=2175372/2721880 

• bettysnephew
    Options
    @stlcharcoal Thanks Jonathon, I knew I had seen you post something about the pork steaks but couldn't seem to locate it in my search. I will do them that way next time. Always good to find a new recipe and figure out what you like best.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    From long ago memory it would appear the SL pork steaks I had in the past did not have beer or at least considerably less than I put in. 2/3 Maull's 1/3 beer. I will try next time minus the beer and see if that is closer to memory. Not bad mind you, but not what I remembered.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    From long ago memory it would appear the SL pork steaks I had in the past did not have beer or at least considerably less than I put in. 2/3 Maull's 1/3 beer. I will try next time minus the beer and see if that is closer to memory. Not bad mind you, but not what I remembered.

I don't even use that much.....maybe 1:8 with a light beer like Busch.  Doctor up the Maull's a bit, and then it needs to cook onto the meat.

I don't do the submerged method--I just cook them on the grill and keep saucing them.  I actually like them thinner cut with a chew, than the fork tender thick cut (I just make pulled pork instead.)

Like anything, there's a million ways to do it and it's always going to be good.