Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st brisket - in trouble?

I've got my first brisket on the Egg and I was convinced things would go smoothly since my wife got me the BBQ Guru for my birthday.

Things seemed fine too...until I noticed the food temp stopped rising at about 110 degrees.  I switched over to the pit temp and it was at 220 degrees.  No issues, right?  My first thought was it hit the stall but it seemed really early based off what I've read.  I let it do it's thing for maybe 2.5 hours and with no changes, I figured something had to be up.  I pulled out my Maverick probe and threw it in there to see what it was reading at the grill level.  Low and behold, it was reading about 118 degrees while the Guru was reading 220 still.

I opened the Egg and changed the location of the guru probe and it changed to about 118...which matched the Maverick reading.  It's now worked it's way back to 220 degrees and I'm chugging along.

This is my first brisket and I've heard stories of failure and disappointment.  So I ask the pros: will the time the brisket sat idle (more or less) hurt it in the end or will it be okay since I didn't have the pit go up to high temp?

Comments