Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

About to put ribs on, but out of apple juice

Options
What can I use as an alternative for misting? I have orange juice, mixed berry green tea, diet coke. Anyone have some concoction that would be a good substitute?

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Not needed on the egg IMHO.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Give it a try without- will be a good trial to see what you like better. I am in the camp that doesn't do it.
    Greensboro, NC
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    I agree with Scott and Wolf. Some of the old school techniques aren't needed on the egg.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I don't mist or mop any more except once towards the end. Typically, I lightly brush on some plain water, or a thin coat of neutral flavor oil. Then, a last sprinkle of black pepper and garlic powder, whose flavors often cook away.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I don't mist. But I TURBO. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• kbutler84
    kbutler84 Posts: 140
    Options
    Good to know, thanks fellas
  • Jeffroe189
    Jeffroe189 Posts: 273
    Options
    The last time I did ribs I just rubbed them with some Dizzy Dust and put them on the egg for 6 hours at 250. I never foiled them or anything. I thought they turned out much better. They have a better texture to them but still come clean from the bone.

It might be worth a try and see if you like them that way also.

Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE, MiniMax, Blackstone
  • kbutler84
    kbutler84 Posts: 140
    Options
    I'm doing St. Louis spares for the first time today. I was thinking around 4 hours at 250-275 would be sufficient. Am I off on that?
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    edited March 2014
    Options
    If you need to use something other than Apple Juice , I have used a mixture of water , hot sauce, and agave ( or honey)

works just as good as the apple juice IMHO

I have done it with using this and also not using anything and I dont think that i could tell the diffrence . But i do like the thought of misting them with hot sauce .

Toronto
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    If you're not going to foil them, I think it'll take longer than 4 hours, especially at the lower temps.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    kbutler84 said:

I'm doing St. Louis spares for the first time today. I was thinking around 4 hours at 250-275 would be sufficient. Am I off on that?

275 might get you there...not 250. Either way, look for meat pull back on the bone, and give them the bend or tooth pick test before pulling them.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SoCal_Griller
    Options
    I agree that misting isn't necessary, tried it once and did not see a big difference.  As far as time goes, spares take longer that baby backs and my baby backs have gone 4-5 hours in the egg.  If you use the 3-2-1 method for spares thats 6 hours, which includes foiling for two hours.  I would allow six hours, but if they get done earlier than that then FTC. 

Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    St. Louis tend to take a little longer- I think you will be looking at approx 5.5 hrs at 250-275
    Greensboro, NC
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    No need to mist, but if you prefer to continue misting, any mild white wine will do, or a white grape juice. Misting with an apple cider vinegar mixed with some sugar will provide a bit of a tang and caramelize a bit if that's the texture you are looking for. Suggest you dissolve the sugar in the vinegar in a saucepan to avoid gumming up the mister. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!