Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg didn't shut down

Options
So we got a new XL egg and cooked some great spatchcock chicken on it last night. After the cook I closed the bottom vent and put the ceramic cap on the dome. All was good until this morning when I opened the egg to get things set for a pork butt and a rack of ribs. I happened to glance out of the kitchen window and saw flames and smoke coming from the egg. I closed the dome and made sure the cap was still secure and the vent still closed. The dome temp went to about 460* and it's still at 410* after an hour has past.
The seal showed no smoke during the cook so I'm sure it's on right. It also past the dollar bill check when we assembled it.
The dome on this new egg has a felt seal so there shouldn't be any air escaping through that path.
The bottom vent is the only place I can think of but still don't understand how it re-lit itself after sitting all night (about 12 hours).
Any clues?
Has anyone had this happen?
BTW: Im not new to the egg. I've had mine for almost three years and this new one was bought for the Daughter.

Comments

• oakdaleegger
    Options
    That has happened to me before. I went out next afternoon to lite egg and it was still a little warm from night before. I opened vent and lid and noticed some bright orange at bottom. I added some fresh lump and it was flaming 5 minutes later. I actually thought it was pretty cool.  
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Never heard of this, but not really surprised. That is a testament to the thermal qualities of the egg that it would keep an ember going in such a low air flow state. I have heard many times of camp fires relighting after they were thought to be extinguished and the conditions in the egg are far greater for such a event. It would eventually totally extinguish if left closed I'm sure.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    Since many of the eggsperts are tied up (or passed out) in Salado or Melbourne I'll chime it with some morel support and tell you I have never seen this and have no additional thoughts over what you have already mentioned. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    It obviously did not re-light itself, it simply was never out. Air flow somewhere and it pretty much has to be through the egg, in the bottom out the top kind of air flow. 
    Good on you to know the gasket is sealed, so it is either the top and bottom vents or you have a crack in the ceramics. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    How tight is the ceramic cap, does it rock or  have a lot of play?  I lined the caps with leftover gasket material to get a real tight seal. Also, how many hours had elapsed since you shut down last night?
    canuckland
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    Windy overnight?   Just a thought
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    I also thought the adjustable metal cap seemed to seal better with the top closed than the ceramic top.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Canugghead said:
    How tight is the ceramic cap, does it rock or  have a lot of play?  I lined the caps with leftover gasket material to get a real tight seal. Also, how many hours had elapsed since you shut down last night?
    I agree with checking how well the ceramic cap sits and also verify the top hole is flat and doesn't have a low spot around it's circumference that would create an air gap.  The question on how long it had been shut-down and how hot you had been running it before shut-down could be contributing factors.  The fact the egg is insulative will lengthen the time it takes for the embers to cool after being deprived of oxygen, I know my old little smokey joe would extinguish fairly quickly after closing the vents, but black painted metal is an excellent heat conductor and heat dissipator.

How tight is your lower vent?  Mine is sealed in place with silicone and the sliding screen and cover are fairly tight.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• jmcnutt5
    jmcnutt5 Posts: 88
    Options
    I would go with @ads75‌ on this one and question the wind. I have never experienced this but if you know your seals are good, the wind forcing air around the lower vent could very well do it. The lower vent seems to me the most likely place for air to get in on a windy night.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I have to pull my bottom vent out a bit to get itto latch closed . Not just slide it over, it will still have a bit of flow.
    Seattle, WA
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    Also, since it is a new egg, do you have sealant around the bottom vent, such as the unfortunate pictures in this thread?

Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    Options
    Thanks to all for the inputs.
    For some answers to questions:
    No wind and I'm sure the bottom vent was closed. It slides about the same as my three year old egg's vent.
    The top cap sits snug and takes two hands to remove due to the seal arount the dome exhaust hole
    It was shut down for > 12 hours.
    The cook was only at 350* so the egg wasn't that hot at all.
    I'll chalk this one up as an anomoly. It certainly makes you more aware of how a supposedly dead campfire comes back to life and starts a forrest fire.
    On the positive side.., It didn't burn any significant amount of lump as it smoldered and it was sure easy to get it up to temp for the rib and butt cook.
    Take care all.