Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flame Boss 1st run

Options
Had a beef roast to cook tonight and the Flame Boss and the XL BGE were just sitting there, so..... I set up for a 350° cook and started the FB when the dome said 250°. Way too soon. It took quite a while to reach target temp, probably due to the size of the XL and the very cool windy weather today. Once the temp was on it was on. Never saw even 1 degree of variation of the pit temp except when I put the meat in. It went back up to the setpoint and stayed there like a rock. When the dome was opened, the fan shut down and displayed open on the LED panel. This was likely not a fair test as 350° is a bit higher than the low and slow temps I bought this for, but I am impressed with how everything worked under these somewhat adverse conditions. I believe the variable speed fan helps to hold the temperature so tight to setpoint.
A poor widows son.
See der Rabbits, Iowa

Comments

• Duranhler
    Duranhler Posts: 78
    Options
    Thanks for the input bettysnephew... I've had my eye on the FlameBoss.
    Sounds like a good controller.
    Awaiting disposable income at the moment.
    Peoria, AZ == XL BGE, Weber 22.5 Redhead, Fiesta Blue Ember Gasser
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    I have a cyberQ and i usually try to get the egg within 20-25 degrees of my target temp before I let the controller take over...I'm no pro but it works well for me.
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I will get the temp closer next time before putting it on the Egg. The fan did ramp up as it tried to get to temp, but there was just likely too much differential to allow it to react faster. Was going to try a L & S tomorrow but Old Man Winter has reared his ugly head again (snowing here) and I have a cold.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    I hear you....I had the same stuff...supposed to be 68 tomorrow though...
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    I've used my demo unit a few times now and noticed the same thing.......it takes a while to manually ramp up the temp. I wrote it off to the fact that it has to "learn" your pit. My fan speed never got above 40%, so I'm sure it was trying not to overshoot.

Aside from that, it was super easy to program and I really like all the info up on the screen at once. No scrolling, cycling, etc. Very nice product.
  • hopmonster
    hopmonster Posts: 11
    Options
    Got a Flame Boss yesterday. I debated the competition, but this is very similar to what I brew with so I am really comfortable with the through process. I am excited to put this to use. I find similarities in the method of use with brewing, except you overshoot when brewing by 10 degrees, add grain which drops it, then the controller takes over. With the Boss I should undershoot by ~20 it sounds like.