Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It's my first butt, too. Temp question.

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Newby here.[p]I am having great time with my egg. I am hosting my tennis team next Sat. and they all want something off the egg. I want to do an 8 lb. butt. I also want to smoke it overnight for like 15 hrs. [p]My problem is, I can't seem to get the temp of my egg under 295, certainly not to 225, which is what I want.[p]I have kept the bottom draft cracked only and set daisy wheel to slightly open, but I can't get the temp down. There must be something I am doing wrong.[p]Help!

Comments

• mule
    mule Posts: 152
    Options
    Ken in Cumming,
    I used to have the same problem. The secret is to "sneak up" to the desired temp. I also found it hard to bring the temp. down. Try the "sneak up" method.[p]mule

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Ken in Cumming,
    As mule states, start shutting down before you hit target dome temp. Just thinking, 250 is a good temp for overnighters. Your fire will hold better. Wishing you success and a good time with your first butt cook.
    Have fun,
    Clay

• Mike in MN
    Options
    Ken in Cumming,
    Make sure your thermometer is calibrated.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Ken in Cumming,
    you don't want to light the egg and let the fire get above your target temp. coming 'down' to a temp is a futile effort sometimes.
    the egg holds temps in its dome too well for that.[p]if you are aiming for 225, start shutting the damper at 195, 200.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante