Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The best way to test new rubs?

Options
I am stumped about the best way to try out new rubs. I' hate the thought of spending 16 hours doing a butt and hating the rub.  What do ya'll do?  Sauces are easier just dip in what ever has cooked.
Suwanee Georgia - suburb north of Atlanta

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    I shake a little in my hand and taste it straight up.  No influences of other flavors that way.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    I hear you and I have been burnt. What I will do is to use a proven rub I like on one half and then the new untried on the other half. In addition since I have become a firm believer in the turbo butt method I cut my time loss down drastically. Otherwise when I know something has to be right then I never use something unproven when I have guests. Otherwise it is blind faith...like tomorrow's spares I will be using Mickey's coffee rub for the first time, but with the rave reviews it should be fine.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Options
    I am new at this rug stuff. But following what I have been reading on this forum and using some "gut instinct"...a tablespoon of this, a teaspoon of that and then a pinch of something else, etc....this is some of the best food that I have ever eaten. I can't imagine a bad meal coming out of my egg.
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    It is hard to determine the true quality of a rub until it is browned on your food, yet almost every rub that tastes good cooked also tastes good raw. The best rubs taste good raw, cooked, and well browned. But they taste different at every stage. 

A good quick way to taste rubs cooked is to take a little cube of pork (since you are cooking pork) apply the rub, then brown it in a pan. Not only will you see how the rub tastes with browning, but you will see how it tastes on pork. Perhaps you'd want to use a cube of sirloin chop instead of a tough shoulder, but you'll be able to determine a lot on flavor/saltiness….and whether that rub even is worthy of being on a pork butt that you spend hours and hours on.

Good luck!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I just look at the ingredients. If I like all of 'em, I figure I'll probably like the combination. Some blends are better than others, but I have yet to try one that was bad

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I also do the sprinkle in the palm of my hand and then lick method.  But as I make my own rubs, this is more just to check for heat to see if I want more pepper in it or not.  I try to start on the mild side unless I know I'm going for spicy.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    I'll usually put it on a chicken breast first.  I know it's a different meat, but you get a taste and you're not out a lot.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    It is hard to determine the true quality of a rub until it is browned on your food, yet almost every rub that tastes good cooked also tastes good raw. The best rubs taste good raw, cooked, and well browned. But they taste different at every stage. 

A good quick way to taste rubs cooked is to take a little cube of pork (since you are cooking pork) apply the rub, then brown it in a pan. Not only will you see how the rub tastes with browning, but you will see how it tastes on pork. Perhaps you'd want to use a cube of sirloin chop instead of a tough shoulder, but you'll be able to determine a lot on flavor/saltiness….and whether that rub even is worthy of being on a pork butt that you spend hours and hours on.

Good luck!
    Chris
    EXPERT advice from an EXPERT!!! Thank you Chris!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    I shake a little in my hand and taste it straight up.  No influences of other flavors that way.
    Me too.  We enjoy trying rubs, but have only found a few that are go-to for us.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys