Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Franklin BBQ and Salado Pics (Worth the 14 hour drive from Atlanta)

Options
Chris_Wang
Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
edited March 2014 in EggHead Forum
Great day in Texas.

Got to talk to Aaron at the register, but he had to leave right after the doors opened.

Best brisket I've ever had. Beef rib was just as good as the brisket. Pulled pork and spare rib were both very good, but they were underwhelming after the brisket and beef rib being so on point.

Didn't stay as long as @cazzy but still got a little tour and explanation of the pits, cook temps/times, and process.

Here are a couple pics from Salado. First one is guest starring @Mickey and @Eggcelsior‌. You can see Little Steven in the second one.

All in all great day. It was nice to meet all of you fellow eggheads. Great work all who were involved in putting on the Salado Fest. Big thanks to @henapple for the Ozark Oak!

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

Comments

• jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    good stuff, thanks for the pics!
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. That's his new 1,000 gallon that he just built. Likely replaced his original **** pit that once belonged to John Mueller.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Chris_Wang
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Forgot to mention that we got in line at 6:45A, we were 5th. Ate, toured, and made it to Salado before 1P.

@cazzy Cool. Andy was the cook that gave us the tour. He was the one there when we got there in the AM.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Looks good. Thanks for sharing.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• cazzy
    Options

Forgot to mention that we got in line at 6:45A, we were 5th. Ate, toured, and made it to Salado before 1P.

@cazzy Cool. Andy was the cook that gave us the tour. He was the one there when we got there in the AM.

My first visit...Andy gave me a tour with Benji when Aaron wasn't there. Cool kid!

photo DSC_6061_zps57ad51c5.jpg
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You still here? Just got here.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Chris_Wang
    edited March 2014
    Options
    @cazzy‌ Is this Benji? We didn't talk to this guy. He was busy putting the brisket on for Sunday.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Chris_Wang
    Options

We left around 3:30. My buddies wanted to go back into the city tonight. I was hoping to meet you before we left, but that'll have to be another time. I'll definitely miss sampling your brisket!

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• cazzy
    Options

@cazzy‌ Is this Benji? We didn't talk to this guy. He was busy putting the brisket on for Sunday.

No, Benji is a Mexican looking guy with glasses. Never seen thst dude before...Likely one of the brisket cooks.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'm guessing everyone has their smokers on wheels so they don't have to meet nutty fire/building codes.
    Options
    cazzy said:

No, Benji is a Mexican looking guy with glasses. Never seen thst dude before...Likely one of the brisket cooks.
    Aaron and Benji

Benji is cool as hell!
  • Chris_Wang
    Options
    @cazzy‌ oh yeah! We met him. Super nice guy. He was pretty much running things since Aaron was only in the building for about 15-20 minutes.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

We left around 3:30. My buddies wanted to go back into the city tonight. I was hoping to meet you before we left, but that'll have to be another time. I'll definitely miss sampling your brisket!

Damn. Sorry I missed you man. Next time. Glad you guys had fun I the ATX this week.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I just did the same thing! Got there at 4, everyone was cleaning up, so I went back home. Fml, I thought these fests lasted longer or I would have shown up at 1.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Chris_Wang
    Options

I just did the same thing! Got there at 4, everyone was cleaning up, so I went back home. Fml, I thought these fests lasted longer or I would have shown up at 1.

There is an after party at the bed and breakfast across the creek...

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Chris_Wang
    Options
    @TUTTLE871‌ what was the name of the cartoon that was set in Atlanta?

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• sumoconnell
    Options

Thanks Chris, I should have asked whilst there..
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Dude! The party starts now! Can't believe you left.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Some days the elevator...some days the...and day drinking starts at 12:01 AM in my life!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options

@TUTTLE871‌ what was the name of the cartoon that was set in Atlanta?

Squidbillies it's a train wreck of a cartoon but worth watching.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• sumoconnell
    edited March 2014
    Options

Live and learn... I live near the Austin eggfest, I'll need to host an after party.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    @cen-tex smoker we waited to hang with you and no cen tex. Looks like I'm coming to Austin to crash your house.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• TMay
    TMay Posts: 87
    Options

Today was my first Eggfest, Had a great time and got some ideas on what to try to broaden my egg cooking at home.  Thanks to everyone cooking and sharing recipes.

Rowlett, Texas
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Live and learn... I live near the Austin eggfest, I'll need to host an after party.
    Yes please. It moved to circle C area this year so maybe party at the circle c eggers (austin egghead and egg obsessed). Although we could always do a lakeway/Steiner egg swinger party :))
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Let's get together and figure out a good place for the after party. Pretty sure Bruce and Kelly will jump in too. That is the one thing that has been missing from the Austin fest
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • sumoconnell
    Options
    I just visited the website, fest is from 10am-3pm(so early!) across from the salt lick. Party near circle c, or at the venue would be good. Us Steiner folks swing so much, we are warped... that party would be weird. Maybe an after after-party.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Joan- you are so right. The after party is a huge part of it and that is missing for austin. We have got to get that figured out. I'm in for whatever
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    TUTTLE871 said:

@cen-tex smoker we waited to hang with you and no cen tex. Looks like I'm coming to Austin to crash your house.

Damnit dude. Sorry. Was really looking forward to it as well. You saved yourself eating some crappy brisket but we had fun anyway. This SXSW thing makes me sleepy so I got a late start.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Ludacris' lullabies will do that to you. Oh, and Titos.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Ludacris' lullabies will do that to you. Oh, and Titos.

I haven't heard so many "heys" and "hos" since I saw the (insert your favorite hipster banjo playing hippie band with one bass drum on the floor by the lead singer)