Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Beef - going BIG

ChokeOnSmoke
ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
edited March 2014 in EggHead Forum
Just scored a 24 lb beef clod!  Need to restock my basement fridge with pulled beef.  Going to coat it with worchestershire and then a heavy dose of Texas BBQ rub.  Plan is to over night it @ 250 and pull it sometime tomorrow, then split it into 1 lb foodsaver bags.  Biggest one I've done, should be fun...

Packerland, Wisconsin

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Looks like fun! Last time I did one I broke it down into 3, the food savered and froze two of them. Will be interesting to see how long it takes.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Man...that is a lot of beef!  

Do you foil for any part of the cook or just let it ride? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• ChokeOnSmoke
    DMW said:
    Looks like fun! Last time I did one I broke it down into 3, the food savered and froze two of them. Will be interesting to see how long it takes.
    Yeah, not sure how long it's going to take?  Trying to figure that out now.  Did a 16 lb'er a little while back and it took 15 hours.  They all seem to have their own personality though...
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• ChokeOnSmoke
    Man...that is a lot of beef!  

Do you foil for any part of the cook or just let it ride? 
    Will probably just let it ride (don't think I've ever foiled one actually). When I pull it I usually foil and let rest until I'm ready to pull and eat some of it.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Duranhler
    Duranhler Posts: 78
    Looking forward to watching this cook. @-)
    Peoria, AZ == XL BGE, Weber 22.5 Redhead, Fiesta Blue Ember Gasser
  • Yes, keep us posted, I wouldn't mind trying a piece that big sometime.
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • leo123
    leo123 Posts: 101
    What army are you cooking for?

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Man...that's a lot of damn beef. I thought chuck roast was supposed to be a cheaper option than brisket. I see I thought wrong.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    4 bucks a lb is cheaper than brisket around here. I have to try something that big someday. Have fun.
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Beef just keeps going up lately. I'm looking for a large buy of chuck meat to grind for burgers this summer. 4 bucks a pound is the norm it seems. Unbelievable.
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    Yup, beef prices seem to keep rising.  I looked up the 16 lb chuck roast I did last summer and it was $2.99 per lb.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• ChokeOnSmoke
    edited March 2014
    Well, I wasn't going to foil, but sometimes things don't go completely as expected.  It was 4º F overnight and unusually windy and by 10:00am (11 hours into the cook), my pit temp was low, the lump was low and I decide to abort, foil and finish in the oven @ 275º.  The internal temp of the meat was 154º when I pulled it.

Here's a shot when I put it on @ 11:00pm last night.
    This is an XL and it almost covered the whole grid!

11 hours into the cook, about to pull it off...

In the house and about to foil for the remainder...

Packerland, Wisconsin

• ChokeOnSmoke
    edited March 2014
    Total cooking time: 14.5 hours
    Turned out really good and pulled easily.  One of the better pieces of chuck roast I've cooked.
    Started with 24 lbs and finished with 12.75 lbs, so just under 50% shrinkage.

Starting to pull and the finished 12 - one pound foodsaver bags:

Thanks for looking!

Packerland, Wisconsin

• Duranhler
    Duranhler Posts: 78

^:)^   =D>   :-bd
    Peoria, AZ == XL BGE, Weber 22.5 Redhead, Fiesta Blue Ember Gasser
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Looks tender as hell...good job man!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    and what do you use these 1 pound bags of pulled beef for? 
    Brandon, MS
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    and what do you use these 1 pound bags of pulled beef for? 
    Sandwiches, wraps, tacos, piled high on a plate or whatever I can think of.  I like to have a stash on hand in the freezer.  Drop it in a pot of water on mediu, 20-30 minutes, good as the day I cooked it.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    gonna do this!

Brandon, MS
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    edited March 2014

gonna do this!

You won't regret it. Quite possibly my favorite meat that comes off the egg.
    Just make sure you get chuck roast (beef shoulder) and not some other "similar" cut like arm roast or bottom roast. I've tried these cuts and they don't pull worth a damn as there's not enough fat and just won't shred no matter how high a temp you take them.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Awesome!  That is great to know the foil stage is optional.  Most recipes I have seen for pulled beef include a foil stage but as Cazzy pointed out additional steps like this are not always required on the egg.   

I love pulled beef sammiches on a crusty roll with some horseradish sauce.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• ChokeOnSmoke
    Yeah, foil definitely not required. I do pulled beef quite often and this is the first time I've used foil.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    well done sir!  You are the pulled beef master. :)
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • I did a 4 lb chuck roast without foiling this weekend and the edges were very dry. I resolved to foil in the future.