Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mt first brisket

Options
jls9595
jls9595 Posts: 1,533
On at 1:00 AM. Plan to go at 250* till done.image
In Manchester, TN
Vol For Life!

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    Good luck

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• GoVols
    GoVols Posts: 216
    Options
    Let me know when it's ready.
    Tim Rickman,Tn.
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Options
    Let us know how it goes.  Some of us a are "brisket newbies".  I have only done one so far and am looking for all the info I can garner.  
    Thanks and good luck with the cook. 
    Long Island, NY
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Options
    Good Luck and enjoy !!
    I just trimmed this guy up, I am getting ready to rub him down .
    I will put him on at about 10 tonight @ 220 and see how it goes .
    Toronto
  • jls9595
    Options
    I went to bed around 2am, woke up at 7:30 and the grid temp was 375* brisket was already at 180*. Failure on my first attempt. Of course this would happen since I was so confident in my temp control ability. I just didn't let it stabilize enough before passing out last night.  
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    It might turn out fine- you never know!  Turbo brisket.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• jls9595
    Options
    how much difference does it make if my grid probe was directly over the space on the side of the plate setter? I just noticed this morning that I had placed it where it was getting some direct heat. 

It's at 190* now and probes like butter is some areas and a little more force is needed to probe in others. Guess I'll let it ride for a while...
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    It makes a huge difference if your probe was over direct heat. I think you are ok. Choke it down to 225 or so to finish it up. You could still have a few hours to go and a long FTC rest will do that brisket Good. It's not ruined for sue. The end cuts may me charred but I like to chop that up and sauce it for Sammie's anyway.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • jls9595
    Options
    Thanks. It feels like I would think it's supposed to feel. Still a little resistance to probe in the center of the point. Is it normal to stall at 190* for a while?  
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,967
    edited March 2014
    Options
    It certainly can. Especially if you were running hot and slowed it down. Let it roll until it's buttery throughout
  • jls9595
    Options
    Will do. Thanks again.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    My 5 lbs just went on. Another cab on sale, last one was primo!
    Seattle, WA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Don't worry about the feel in the point-much more fat content than the flat.  The key finish indicator (unless you have the right hand feel technique) is when you cash probe the thickest part of the flat with no resistance.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jls9595
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Don't worry about the feel in the point-much more fat content than the flat.  The key finish indicator (unless you have the right hand feel technique) is when you cash probe the thickest part of the flat with no resistance.  FWIW-
    good, I believe it's done then. 200 to 204 depending where I probe and there is no resistance to probing the thick part of the flat at all. now to FTC for a few hours. 
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Done. Pull it.
  • jls9595
    Options
    It took just over 12 hours for a 13 lb before trimming, not sure of the weight after trimming.  Seems a little fast but the first part of the cook was probably between 320-370* lol.  Oh well, nothing to do now but let it rest.   
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @jls9595-patience and enjoy the great eats.  That said, don't slice til ready to eat and slice against the grain.  Grain pattern in the flat and point are different FYI. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jls9595
    Options
    yep, I have never sliced or seen one sliced except in videos. this will be my first taste of brisket in about 18 years and I remember it being very dry. this forum has inspired me to give it a try, I will definitely be doing another no matter how this one turns out. 
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Mine cooked in 1 hr per lb at 235 last night.
  • jls9595
    Options
    I was thinking 1.5 hrs per pound, that makes me feel alot better
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @ljls9595-google "franklin brisket" videos and give them a look.  Will give you a good idea of the slicing approach for the near-term and the rest of the series will set you up for your next ride!
  • jls9595
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @ljls9595-google "franklin brisket" videos and give them a look.  Will give you a good idea of the slicing approach for the near-term and the rest of the series will set you up for your next ride!
    I have been watching those the last few days. I will def. refresh myself on the slicing technique before I go at mine.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Options
    I have been watching this thread all day waiting to hear how it turned out .

Toronto
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    5lb done in 5 hours here , going tonletnit go a bit more and FTC for dinner in 3 he's.
    Seattle, WA
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Set it the long way and cut acrossed it.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • jls9595
    Options
    About to take it out of the FTC and slice it. I'll post a pic good or bad. I'm thinking this one is going to be chalked up to a learning experience. :))
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • jls9595
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Well it wasn't bad at all.  I know I can make it better but I had a great meal and I'm stuffed!  I made some burnt ends which were amazing(as far as I know :D).  imageimageimage
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Its all about learning, having fun and eating good food. Sounds like you are your way. I did the same with pork tenderloins last night.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    That looks pretty damn good.
    NOLA
  • jls9595
    Options
    thanks guys. it wasn't too bad. I did chop up alot that was over done and smothered it in half vinegar sauce and half regular bbq sauce. It made a really good sandwich.  Overall I am happy with my first attempt. Next time I'll make sure the temps are locked in better and use less salt.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!