Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adjustable rig

Hi all, I'm trying to figure out what all the buzz about the adjustable rig is. I am always looking to buy accessories for my egg so I'm on the fence whether this will serve me, I already own the plate setter and I built a raised grid with stainless steel bolts. Could you guys please explain to me what I would be gaining b making this purchase. Thanks all

Comments

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    I have on and love the versatility it gives me. I personally wanted the ability to cook more slabs lying flat and the rig allows me to do so. you can find a lot more info using the search feature. 

XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    If you already have a plate setter and the DIV raised grid, stay with what ya got. I opted to buy the adjustible rig and skipped the plate setter. It's incredibly versatile and enables you to configure it many different ways.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Have two Larges and each has an Adj Rig. They are that worth it IMO.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    I have two large eggs - I use one AR and one DIY raised grid that I made myself. I often use both but could easily get by with the DIY raised grid now. If it doesn't hurt your budget, do what makes you happy...
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited March 2014
    AR craze is running wild the past few months. ..its getting beat into us non owners.
    Still holding out as I have the , PS woo 3, "place setter" , and raised grid.
    Its a beautiful piece though and I will have it one day.
    Seattle, WA
  • Lecky
    Lecky Posts: 60
    I remember when I first joined this amazing site someone posted a site for an attachment that you can use to make a swing grate, does anyone remember this?
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Lecky said:

I remember when I first joined this amazing site someone posted a site for an attachment that you can use to make a swing grate, does anyone remember this?

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1151906/bge-grill-extender-group-buy/p1
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Lecky
    edited March 2014
    Damn cazzy, that was fast! Thank you enjoy the day.
  • Keefer
    Keefer Posts: 120
    The AR lets me cook four buts or several rack of babybacks at once on my Large. Other than to cook steaks or burgers - it has been a part of every cook since I've had it. There are other ways to do the same thing but the AR just does it so well!
  • Lecky
    If your doing two racks of ribs or other foods on the AR is there a time difference between the two racks when they are finished cooking or will both racks be done at the same time?
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    AR is definitely worth the money. Sell the platesetter on Craigslist.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Lecky
    Hi, another question I Have is when doing two tier cooking do I Have to remove the top Grid to access the lower grid? And if so where do you place the top grid? Thanks
  • Tackman
    Tackman Posts: 230
    Just unpacked my AR. Been looking at them online for months. Can't believe the quality of this thing. I work for the Lincoln Electric Company, and I think I know a thing or two about the welding industry. The welds on the rig are top notch. The stainless is excellent quality. Very happy with the purchase, and it hasn't even been close to the egg yet. Buy one.
    Cleveland, Ohio
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    The decision really depends on your style of cooking and how much food you cook I bought the PsWoo3 because it works with the plate setter, which I already had. I used a homemade raised grid and liked the way it preformed and could do 2 levels of indirect cooking if needed. The PsWoo will also give you a clean way to cook raised direct and if needed your homemade grid can sit on top of it for multi level cooks. Mine pretty much lives in my large. All this said I don't own an AR so no experience with it but I am sure it "FREAKING ROCKS"

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Lecky
    Tackman said:
    Just unpacked my AR. Been looking at them online for months. Can't believe the quality of this thing. I work for the Lincoln Electric Company, and I think I know a thing or two about the welding industry. The welds on the rig are top notch. The stainless is excellent quality. Very happy with the purchase, and it hasn't even been close to the egg yet. Buy one.
    which one did you end up buying?

Tackman said:

• Tackman
    Tackman Posts: 230
    I bought the RB combo, with the rig extender. Basically it's the one from their you tube video. Search you tube for ceramic grill store. Going to get it dirty today.
    Cleveland, Ohio
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Tackman said:
    I bought the RB combo, with the rig extender. Basically it's the one from their you tube video. Search you tube for ceramic grill store. Going to get it dirty today.
    +1
  • Lecky said:
    If your doing two racks of ribs or other foods on the AR is there a time difference between the two racks when they are finished cooking or will both racks be done at the same time?
    There will be a small difference on indirect cooks, a bigger one on direct cooks.  Buy the oval rack for the top and you can switch them out halfway through so that they cook more evenly.

Lecky said:
    Hi, another question I Have is when doing two tier cooking do I Have to remove the top Grid to access the lower grid? And if so where do you place the top grid? Thanks
    With the slide attachment, you don't have to remove the top rack to pull out the bottom one.  Sometimes I cook on the main grid below the two AR grids, in which case I have to remove some stuff to get to that food.  But I try to put something there that doesn't need to come off until the end.
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    edited March 2014

Owning both the Woo2 and the Woo3 I would stick with the Woo2 and the spider combo. It is the same end result but more versatile. Pick up and extra oval from Tom and make your own raised grid.

I do own the AR also and use both setups depending on what I am cooking and which one is closer. One of my eggs sits up by the house and the other is about 140' down my yard near my playhouse.