Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with a 13.5lb beef strip loin

Options
WiltOnTilt
WiltOnTilt Posts: 102
edited March 2014 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,

I got a big strip loin on sale that I would like to slice into nice thick steaks to throw on the egg. I'd like some advice on how to proceed. It is currently in thawed in the cryovac in the fridge. I have one primary concern: don't screw these big steaks up! I'm looking at egging 6 or so big steaks at once. I have a LBGE.

1. Is there any big downside to cut this thing into 2-3 inch thick steaks?

2. Sear them first then move temp down or start temp and sear at end?

3. Best way to get a good "crust" on the outside while keeping them medium rare on the inside?

Most of the steaks I've done have been 1 inch or less and I've simply cranked the heat way up and blasted them for 1-1.5 minutes per side. I'd like a thick nice warm red centered steak if possible but I think I'll need a lower temp to avoid a huge grey band.

I'd love to hear any and all suggestions!

Comments

• Romain
    Romain Posts: 52
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I'm not sure that I would cut that up at all at the beginning. I would probably treat that just as I do my rib roasts....low, indirect at 225-250 until I hit 129 internal (about 3ish hours for my rib roasts) and pull and double wrap in HD foil to rest. While it's resting I remove the indirect plate, open up my lower vent about 4" and take the cover off of the chimney vent. Once dome temp hits about 550-600 I put the rib roast back on and sear it about 90 seconds per side. Since it's roundish, I sort of roll it to sear. Once seared I pull it and can then slice it to whatever thickness I (or my dinner guests') desire. Doing it this way gives me a roast that is the same temp all the way through, almost edge to edge. The seared edge will be approximately 1/8-1/4". An initial 129 internal temp will yield a roast that is more medium than medium rare. If I want more medium rare, then I pull it to rest at about 122-124. This is on a XLBGE, so your YMMV with you having a L. Hope this helps.
    Romain Nowakowski Ashburn, VA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Look up "hot tubbing" steaks.
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I get primals all the time and cut them pretty big . I cut them about  3 inches or so this way I can get a great sear on all 4 sides .
    I do what @Romain does and I get excellent steaks cooked perfect with a great sear .

Toronto
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    I do it all the time.  You can cut nicely by just eyeball by cutting in equally in half, then re-halving to the desired thickness.  It is remarkable how well the human eye can find the center.

Doing one tonight, actually, but here is a post of a past one.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1162392/i-love-strip-roasts#latest

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• WiltOnTilt
    WiltOnTilt Posts: 102
    Options
    Thanks all. I decided to do a test run this afternoon before the big dinner. I cut 9, 2inch thick strips out and took one to try. I put it in at 250ish with my maverick probe in and watched it until 106, then pulled it out and foiled it while bringing the egg up to 650-700 and seared 60 seconds on each side. I shoud have checked the temp but I forgot. After 10 minute rest I cut into it and was surprised to see little to no red. Only some pink. Not much gray either. I don't quite know how I blew passed medium rare but for tonight I am going to sear after they hit 100 degrees and hopefully will have better luck. Im glad I did a test run though, I was reading that others taking the meat up to 115 and then searing which would have been a disaster for sure.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Strip loin cooks super fast compared to the same size ribeye, sirloin and tenderloin.
    Options
    Strip loin cooks super fast compared to the same size ribeye, sirloin and tenderloin.

Thanks that is likely the cause then. Maybe I should shorten the sear and start at 95-100 then
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Instant read thermometers take a lot of the guesswork out of it. 
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Trying to upload some pics from my phone. Took a piece of painters tape and marked off lines at each inch/half inch. Cut nine 2inch steaks out of it and did the reverse sear.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Looks great.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys