Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome and base not lining up after gasket replacement

Options
So I just replaced my old burned out gasket with a new high temp gasket.  When I removed the lid I used a nylon tie strap to keep the spring compressed.  Evidently either the tie strap wasn't tight enough or it slipped a little bit.  Now I can't get the top band to tighten down on the dome without the dome sitting about 1/8" behind where it should be sitting on top of the base.  This is because the spring is not 100% compressed.  It is about 95% compressed.  I am hoping that someone here has a possible solution to getting the spring 100% compressed so I can evenly reassemble my egg and get back to cooking!  Thanks in advance for any advice

Comments

• ClemsonFanJT
    Options
    No idea on how to do it but after reading a few people having this problem I am gonna make sure I never lose the hard plastic pieces that came with my EGG
  • Conneggticut_Yankee
    Conneggticut_Yankee Posts: 132
    edited March 2014
    Options
    If I'm reading this right you could probably use an adjustable wrench as shown at about 3:45 in this video. 

Hopefully this helps.
    Madison, CT
    LBGE June 2013. 

• Prodraft
    Prodraft Posts: 22
    Options
    I kept my hinge locks and those little red spacers for the bands too.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You can put the bottom strap on and tighten the top with the lid up, enough to compress the lid hinge springs.  Then loosen them enough to align without popping out the channels.  I've never had a problem getting the think assembled/disassembled without the spring compressor thingies that come with it (I threw them out or lost them).

Don't put springs on the strap like that video, the amount of torque/pressure you need will completely compress the spring.  That's not stock.
    edited March 2014
    Options
    No idea on how to do it but after reading a few people having this problem I am gonna make sure I never lose the hard plastic pieces that came with my EGG
    I kept mine too, but I bet a lot of people don't have them as their eggs were assembled by dealers and those pieces were pitched. Same way as how many dealers ended up with extra green feet as eggs were sold in nests. BTW for those without the plastic pieces you can use strong wire wraps as a substitute to hold the bands in place during the tightening. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Conneggticut_Yankee
    Options
    Dealer almost trashed mine after assembly as well. I don't think they possessed much Egg awareness. Made sure to keep those things.
    Madison, CT
    LBGE June 2013. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    ive never used the plastic things, have always opened the dome and pried the springs off with a screwdriver, then assembled/disassembled, they open and put springs back on. they come off in 2 seconds with someone holding the dome open as you pry
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • golfandgrill
    Options
    I used zip ties and it worked just fine.
    Fighting Sioux Hockey