Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Would you?

Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200

Could you? Have you? Spotted these at an Asian market in Plano yesterday (H Mart). After what I have seen on tv, I passed them up. Now, I kinda wish I would have picked one up just to try it and see if its as bad as they say. Maybe next time. Did pick up some great stuff while I was there for this weekend and got some ideas for future cooks. I think now all my seafood shopping will be done there. Live blue crabs. Tons of fresh fish, some I've never seen or heard of and way cheaper and better selection than Central Market. Now I see why @Village_Idiot loves his Asian markets.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Asian markets are great. I probably won't waist the money trying a fruit that looks like a sea urchin.
    Dunedin, FL
  • yzzi
    I just looked up the nutritional facts on that. That thing is packed with lots of fiber and vitamins. Maybe I should just hold my breath and give it a shot. image
    Dunedin, FL
  • Griffin
    From what I hear, holding your breath is key.

Rowlett, Texas

• yzzi
    I've been reading about this for the last 15 minutes. Apparently it literally tastes like sugar/citrus/whipped cream. I think I might stop by a store and see if they have any.
    Dunedin, FL
  • chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    It is an acquired taste. Smells bad, taste better. You can find it growing along the roads in South Vietnam. Best purchased fresh...when in season. Wear gloves or be very careful when opening it. It is frequently called Jackfruit.imageimageimageimage
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• Griffin
    Here is a video with Andrew Zimmerman (i don't know how to embed vidoes off youtube)

Rowlett, Texas

• Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    Hmmm..I hear the smell is reminiscent of funky feet and a consistency of soft cheese. I just don't think I could get past that...
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Durian and jackfruit are 2 different fruits. Jackfruit is not nearly as smelly when you open it up.

Hmart is da bomb! The big one here has a food court with a Korean fried chicken joint in it. More kinds of Kimchi than you can shake stick at. Pork belly is pretty cheap there too.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I worked w. a fellow from Malaysia for awhile. He mentioned that durian tasted wonderful, but smelled like sh_t when opened.

A local Vietnamese/Asia market carries them, but I haven't bothered. They also have a durian ice cream. Haven't tried that either. Did try some jujubes, which were almost too sweet.

They have fresh crab once a week. Always have pork belly on hand. Sometimes squid. Bahn Mi. An entire aisle of bulk spices, curries, condiments, etc. Many fruits and vegetables that I have no clue about. Great prices.
  • I have had these in China, and they indeed smell awful, but taste wonderful. The smelly feet comment was dead on.
    Fighting Sioux Hockey
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    What and where is this Asian market, does it require me crossing 635?

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    might be good to make a beer from it, DURIAN DEATH ALE. its rumored to cause death when eaten with a beer
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    Look at the amount of carbs in one...163g.  I'd have to take a huge shot to cover that.
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    @Tuttle871 Yes, it requires you crossing 635.  Head North on 75 to Parker Rd, go East to K, and there is Super H Mart

OR, go up one exit to Spring Creek and in the NW Corner is 99 Ranch.

North of 635 is where all the cool Asian markets are.....
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    The fruit itself is not stinky or that smelly - the rind is. A place in Chinatown makes a deep fried durian puff that is awesome. Tastes like mango crossed with ripe bananas.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    I've had durian from a friend's freezer...had the consistency of custard...and holding the nose was the only way I could get myself to even get it to my mouth.....

But Fried??  I could get behind that :)
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • yzzi
    Logger said:
    Look at the amount of carbs in one...163g.  I'd have to take a huge shot to cover that.
    Yeah, but all that fiber....your body won't have a chance to digest all that sugar.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Griffin
    TUTTLE871 said:
    What and where is this Asian market, does it require me crossing 635?

Not only 635 but also George Bush.

@fishlessman I ain't putting that in any beer I brew. .

:-&

Rowlett, Texas

• TUTTLE871
    @Griffin actually going to Murphy on Sunday to see some friends where is this place located I might stop off and examine it.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    edited March 2014
    im thinking it would taste like a skunky lowenbrau
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Griffin
    Plano Road and Either Park or Parker. Can't remember which. North east corner.

Rowlett, Texas

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    Super H Mart is awesome! I will be eating lunch there in a few hours. I saw a cooking show that used durian as an ingredient ( http://upwave.com/shows/cook-your-ass-off/season1/episode3 ). Even the chefs competing hadn't ever used it. Check out the link for a video of them trying durian for the first time.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• CP92
    CP92 Posts: 318
    Let's put it this way. They have signs in SE Asia that forbid people from eating them on public transportation cause they smell so bad.
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    gdenby said:
    I worked w. a fellow from Malaysia for awhile. He mentioned that durian tasted wonderful, but smelled like sh_t when opened.

I've heard that as well, but then I always think about how smell has such an impact on how things taste.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• TUTTLE871
    @Angus1978‌ I'm have always been scared of crossing 635, that's Oklahoma territory to me.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• It is located ne corner of ave K and parker road in plano.
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    In Taiwan, you are not allowed to bring durian fruit into a hotel.  My understanding is that the taste will either be OK or totally offend you because of its reaction to your particular body chemistry.  I tried it and did not find it offensive, but my wife who is Asian cannot stand it.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    It used to be Minyards.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Because of alcohol and being at the wrong place at the right time I have tried it.

It tastes like what I imagine Roseanne Barr's thong would taste like!!

Avoid at all costs!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    BOWHUNR said:
    Because of alcohol and being at the wrong place at the right time I have tried it.

It tastes like what I imagine Roseanne Barr's thong would taste like!!

Avoid at all costs!!!!!!!!!!

Mike
    Ewwww  (*puke*)