Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Dough not elastic

Options

Been having trouble with my dough lately (not the kind of dough that SWMBO spends to much of). My pizza dough ends up being not very flexible or elastic. It is quite hard to stretch out into my crust. Wondering if anyone has advice on my process or what I might be missing:

325ml of warm (110 degree) bottled water

1 tsp sugar

1 tsp salt

2.5 teaspons yeast

Combined and let sit to froth for 20 min.

add into food processor with 4 cups of sifted all purpose flour. mix well. then I put in the kitchenaid with dough hook and mix/knead.

I roll into a ball and lightly coat with olive oil and let rise 4 hours or so.

Thanks!

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

Comments

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    I would add some olive oil to the recipe, tablespoon should make a difference on that size batch.  How warm is the room that these balls of dough are?  It might be warm enough to over proof the dough.  I generally make the dough the day before and store it in the fridge and then take it out one or two hours before use.

Gerhard
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    I believe I am overproofing. Thanks for advice!

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I don't think you are overproofing. I think you are overMIXING. Read through this and see if it helps.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    Thanks, I will give it a try!

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    Options
    If you can find it get King Arthur Bread dough it will solve your problems. It is a high gluten flour.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I check proofing by pushing with your finger. It should bounce back about halfway. If the indentation stays in its too late. I'd still bake it though
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    henapple said:
    I check proofing by pushing with your finger. It should bounce back about halfway. If the indentation stays in its too late. I'd still bake it though
    I thought you checked proofing by what the proof on the bottle says.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• tomiv
    tomiv Posts: 7
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I use Antimo Caputo 00 flour

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @bud812‌ ...I didn't say anything about bread.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    You are avoiding my biggest mistake, which is punching the dough down and letting it rise a second time.  Great for bread, bad for pizza.
    Usually, if you have a persnickety dough, just let it lie, cover with a damp towel or saran wrap, and let it rest 20 minutes or so; this allows the gluten to relax, and you can normally finish the shaping.  I've had to let the dough rest twice before getting to the pie, but it doesn't seem to be a problem much anymore.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    I only use 3 cups of flour and have no problems. Maybe you are putting in too much flower.
    Mark Annville, PA