Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Iowa Eggheads please sign in

Comments

• JPakaPope
    JPakaPope Posts: 32
    Ames Iowa here!  I got my egg last June, so still a new egghead.  

It would be great to get a small "eggfest" or get together going in Iowa.  I think the closest one to Ames is in Norfolk NE.
    Ames, Iowa
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    edited March 2014
    @bettysnephew to be honest I just got my egg in September so I was pretty gung Ho and never stopped...I scooped off the deck multiple times so I could keep om eggin...but the nice weather has increased my use...3 days in a row this week...
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    edited March 2014
    I have generally been out over the winters also, but the Doc that put my new knees in cautioned against falling so I kind of backed off this year.  They are finally starting to feel like they belong to me so hopefully next winter will be different.  Really looking forward to the first Eggcellent meal soon.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    edited March 2014
    @JPakaPope‌ did you recently order a pallet of Rockwood...stlcharcoal mentioned he sent a pallet to Ames.

I'm going to STL in a few weeks and going to try to pick up a few bags...if they work out significantly better the the RO I've been using I will probably start ordering... agree on the get together...are these things usually sponsored or hosted by a dealer?

The Salado event looks like a good time...but I can't make it work this year...maybe next year we should coordinate a Midwest contingency to head down...might be a fun road trip
  • JPakaPope

No, I didn't order the pallet.  I might try to pallet or 2 shipment together (this summer) b/c I work w/ 3 other eggheads and we have several warehouses we could get it dropped shipped to in Central Iowa.  Interesting, I didn't see he had sent some to Ames.

I usually make a few trips through KC and stock up on Ozark Oak and Rockwood every time I roll through.  I have about 60 #s of Rockwood and 60 #s of Ozark Oak in my garage...feeling like I'm getting low!  Both are great and quite a it cheaper than RO.

Salado sounds like a great time.....

Ames, Iowa
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    I will be retiring in a couple of months and would like to do a meet up if we can get it arranged. A mini Eggfest as it were.  I suspect central Iowa would make the most sense as we are spread over a wide area.  I would also be in for a Salado trip next year.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    JPakaPope said:
    Ames Iowa here!
    @JPakaPope .......email me your info and I'll pass it along to our customer in Ames.  Need to get your guys together.  :)
  • JPakaPope

JPakaPope said:

Ames Iowa here!

@JPakaPope .......email me your info and I'll pass it along to our customer in Ames.  Need to get your guys together.  :)

Ok @stlcharcoal , sent an email with my contact info.
    Ames, Iowa
  • Keep us posted on any group buys...I am up in Ames every couple months...
  • meat73
    meat73 Posts: 140
    If ur intrested in rockwood in eastern iowa pm me
  • stranny00
    stranny00 Posts: 36
    Sibley, Iowa. Seen a lot of eggheads up here. 
  • Orange City here! Grew up in central Iowa and then Omaha, KC. After leaving Kansas City I bought an egg so I could get good BBQ since NWIA has none.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Prodraft
    Prodraft Posts: 22
    Count me in for group buys, I'm in Des Moines a couple of times a month. Would love to get together with some local (Iowa) eggheads.
  • Zuma
    Zuma Posts: 50
    Not sure how old this post is.   But, we are doing sweet corn on the egg tonight for the first time.  From NW Iowa and love, love this area.   Hooked on the BGE and also knocked the socks off of the county fair "Barbecue Contest" a few weeks ago.  Won the pork division & $500 smacks.   Great fun.
  • @Zuma‌ which fair, wish I would have heard about that, it would be fun for sure

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Clinton iowa here
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    @Zuma‌ I thought about entering that but I don't know how I'd move my egg from here to there.
    NW IOWA
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    @Brisket_Fanatic‌ I'm guessing it was the Osceola county fair.
    NW IOWA
  • Clinton Iowa on the Mississippi River - Been an Egg user for over 6 years and work at a dealer in town. 

Since you are all IOWANS on here mostly on this thread letting you know that My Store and the Local FM Radio Station are helping with a Benefit for the Izaak Walton in Clinton County and we are selling 500 chances to win a LARGE BGE. We have stores from DesMoine, Cedar Falls, Cedar Rapids, Muscatine, Ames all the way to Clinton and if you win you can pick it up at one of our locations. PM me for details good cause and Large EGG for 10$ maybe be yours!

Love the Egg and cooking on it. November 1st from 10-2 we will be having a Demo at the Clinton Location for any of you close to our store welcome to come on over and check out some of the new stuff and just eat food and talk BGE! O'Donnell Ace Hardware Clinton Iowa

Thanks and good to be back on forums.. been a while.... :( since the old format
    User, Abuser of the Big Green Egg Clinton Iowa
  • badinfluence
    Oh how I wanna win that egg. One can never have too many eggs.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Oh how I wanna win that egg. One can never have too many eggs.
    How many chances did you get when you came in sunday... I saw you got some new gear with your rewards :)
  • badinfluence
    @DaveShady‌ i have to get them tommorow am before i have to go to my eye Dr appointment will get 5.

Clinton, Iowa
  • tomorrow is our big 20% off sale at the store. Some reason they DID NOT EXCLUDE grills and power equipment this year...... hang on to our socks wonder how long till all 12 in stock are gone...
  • moo4me
    moo4me Posts: 37
    Pretty new to the forumn but saw this thread and caught my eye. Originally from NW Iowa, Sioux Center, but now living in southern California. Agree with the above post about no good bbq in NW Iowa. Also have to agree about the sweet corn as well, can't beat it. Although I don't ever recall seeing a tri tip in Iowa and most people from that area have never even heard of tri tIp
  • Froman
    Froman Posts: 201
    I'll chime in. Been egging since June. I'm in Ankeny IA. Close to Ames and pleasant hill :)

Any local places to get some different options for lump? I was just At Hawgeye BBQ for the first time. They had a bag of wicked good that I almost picked up.

I had never heard of a tri-tip before the forum. Hah!
  • Hey @Froman ...nice to meet you.
     I was at hawgeye today looking for some sauce... When I got the egg I started with a few bags of wicked good, I had good luck with it...

To be honest I have used about 5-6 different kinds, and I really cant tell a whole lot of difference, so I use RO the most, its easiest to find, and per lb, you cant beat the cost. A few of the others burn a little differently (hotter, slower, ect), or I have found less rocks in the bags, ect, but I have never been able to justify the price difference of paying almost double...Coincidentally I usually go to Ankney to get the big bags of RO at Home Depot.  Last spring Walmart had a sale on the 18lb bags for like 8 bucks, I think I grabbed 20.  For some reason, I like the bigger bags.

I keep a couple bags of Rockwood on hand that I use for special occasions,like brisket, but since its harder to come by in central IA, I got it on a trip to St Louis last fall...I would probably use it a little more if it were more accessible locally...just my 2 cents...
  • Oh yea, almost forgot...I have since found tri-tip at 2 places...B & B is a small store on the south side of Des Moines (check their hours before you go), pretty good sandwiches there too, and the meat guys know their stuff. First time I was there they took me in the back and showed me the coolers and offered to do some shots before I left...

Also Trader Joes in West Des Moines had it....but they didnt offer any beverages for stopping by, so go at your own risk :)

• Froman
    Froman Posts: 201
    @Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic thanks mike! Hawgeyes has a nice selection. Most I've seen so far.

I'll personal message you. Maybe we can go in on a fircraft order sometime.
  • Any Iowa East Coast Eggers looking for a MINI? With the mini max the demand for the mini
    is about nill. I have a couple of them we are going to move out of the store.

PM me or email me if you looking priced to sell. IN Clinton Iowa

• Anyone cooking IA sweet corn on the egg?