Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First cook post: Pistachio Pesto Chicken Breast

Options
I've had my egg for about 3 months now, and have been prowling around the forum.  The cook threads are always fun to look through for new ideas, so I decided its time for me to contribute.  Finally cooked something semi-original that I thought was worth sharing.  Let me know what yall think.

Butter flied chicken breast with homemade pistachio pesto sauce "stuffed" inside.  Served with some grilled aspaeragus and carrots (not pictured)
LBGE in Arlington, TX

Thanks and Gig'em

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Nice! Out of the gate strong. Welcome aboard and thanks for contributing.

So are you saying the non-cook threads are not fun to look through :))

Glad you are here
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • drewaars
    drewaars Posts: 63
    Options
    oh no, i definitely like them all.  I was just determined to not suck at cooking on this thing.  i would have been lost if not for this forum.
    LBGE in Arlington, TX

Thanks and Gig'em
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Looks great. Where you from?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• drewaars
    Options
    I'm in Arlington TX.  guess its time to add that to the bottom
    LBGE in Arlington, TX

Thanks and Gig'em
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    Welcome to the asylum.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Looks good. My wife loves this, must try.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Welcome. ..drive down to Salado Saturday
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • drewaars
    Options
    I'll more than likely be in Athens in April.  Wife will be out of town for a bachelorette party, so while she's away i'm gonna go play
    LBGE in Arlington, TX

Thanks and Gig'em
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Looks great! Reminds me of my favorite pesto chicken sandwich (from a restaurant) that I need to try to recreate.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    Options
    Looks great! It looks like in your picture that the chicken was cooked on a lower grid direct..? I've started cooking my chicken breasts on a raised direct setup. I bought 3 "fire bricks" from Home Depot for about .47 each. Not sure if it helps any, but you might try it!

Have the recipe for the pistachio pesto sauce? I'd like to give these a shot.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    Wow that looks fantastic...Def gonna give it a try. Welcome, I agree the forum is awesome
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Oh damn! I wish my first cook had looked like that :)

But now we want the recipe... pistachio pesto sounds tasty.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • drewaars
    Options
    caliking it definitely wasn't my first cook, just first shared.

fence0407 as far as a recipe goes I don't really measure anything. but I'll take a stab at it. 

about a cup and a half of shelled pistachio's
    fistful of fresh basil
    small hand full of grated parmesean
    and olive oil till it looks right
    i didn't feel like mincing any garlic so I just used powder with salt and pepper to taste.

*great measurements right?

Threw the pistachios in a food processor first and got them chopped pretty good.  You probably want to leave them a little bigger than you would think cause they're going to keep getting chopped. Then added everything else in and just keep adding olive oil until you get the consistency you want.

Id say the rest is pretty self explanatory. 

I did cook it low direct bwtn 325 - 375 for about 45 min.  

I haven't bought any other cooking apparatus yet cause i'm debating on buying the AR.  Just wanna go all out on an oval combo, spider and wok all at once.  Haven't worked that into the budget yet. 

Thanks for all the positive feedback
    LBGE in Arlington, TX

Thanks and Gig'em
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    edited March 2014
    Options
    @drewaars - I appreciate the response on the sauce. I definitely know what you mean about measurements, so no worries. It sounds like cooking on the lower grid at similar temps yields the same results for the same amount of time. 

I decided to spend my budget on a CyberQ Wifi instead of the AR package - but that might come in the future. I think the versatility that the AR adds to the egg is incredible. Guess for now, my cheap fire bricks will do the trick! Thanks again!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• drewaars
    Options
    I'd love a temp controller but to me the fun/frustration comes from trying to control the temp.  I'm sure i'll end up getting one down the line though
    LBGE in Arlington, TX

Thanks and Gig'em
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Great looking cook. Sounds interesting. This past weekend we took my mom out to a restaurant for her birthday and I got a pistachio crusted Mahi Mahi. First time I think i've ever had pistacios as such a key player in a meal. Was really great and I can see how it would make a good pesto. Gonna have to give that one a try.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• drewaars
    Options
    I don't normally have pine nuts on hand. Never actually had a pine nut.  Just using whats in the house.  Usually works out pretty well.
    LBGE in Arlington, TX

Thanks and Gig'em
  • BckPorchGriln
    Options
    Looks absolutely delicious! I'll be adding this to the list!
    Demorest, Ga.    1MBGE