Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Venison butterfly chops

Options
Last night I made venison butterfly chops and potatoes on the egg. I used Redskins for the potatoes and mixed them with onions, garlic, salt, pepper and some dizzy dust. Threw them in the Dutch over and on the egg at 400°. I let those go for about 45 mins before putting the chops on. I put goat cheese in the middle of the chops and wrapped them in bacon. I put the chops on the egg at 400° indirect. Once the IT of the chops hit 120° I took the potatoes of and removed the platesetter. The next 2 mins I had the chops direct over the coals to crisp up the bacon. They turned out great and as always, I wish I had more!
Pure Michigan
Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    That looks mighty tasty. I'm gonna have to see if there is any venison hiding in the freezer when I get home.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• shadowcaster
    Options
    It is one of my favorite recipes to make, I love them and so does every one else!
    Pure Michigan
  • Gator_Man
    Gator_Man Posts: 138
    Options

Looks great and I'm sure it was very good would give it a try if I only had some Venison.

Gator Man / Jupiter Jim

I'm from North Carolina summer and Okeechobee Florida winter.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

• jad
    jad Posts: 70
    Options
    what cut of the venison did you use? was it the prime cut (backstrap) or something else.
    They look good
    Cary NC
  • shadowcaster
    Options
    @jad It was the backstrap. I do my own deer so I usually cut the backstrap up into about 3" pieces or so. When I want to prepare them this way I butterfly them after they are defrosted. I have converted many venison haters after they try this recipe. You still get the venison flavor but it is masked by the bacon and goat cheese.
    Pure Michigan
  • jad
    jad Posts: 70
    Options
    thanks shadowcaster I think I have a small piece of backstrap left in the freezer going to give these a try...
    Cary NC