Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Looking forward to a delicious Christmas dinner? Keep our Holiday Entertaining Publication handy throughout December for all your holiday dinner needs. But you can also find some of our favorites on our Country Christmas page, including Christmas Ham and Peach Cobbler. Happy cooking!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Help - Cast Iron Grate - Split

danv23danv23 Posts: 407
edited March 9 in EggHead Forum
So me and my neighbor had lots off cool ones last night and I talked him into doing a clean burn.  He had already bought the Rutland (RRP style) and the OEM gasket was pretty much toast, so he just needed a little push.  We left his 'BGE bought' Cast Iron Grate in there and apparently at some point during the process it split.  I would have never thought that would have happened and feel just a little responsible because I think it was more the beer's fault than mine.

Anyhow, any of you ever heard of that?  Do you think BGE will warranty it?

Let me know, and thanks as always.

The Dude: Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Walter Sobchak: [shouting] Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!

Cumming, GA

Comments

• henapplehenapple Posts: 12,411
    If not get it welded
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • RRPRRP Posts: 13,814
    edited March 9
    It probably is under warranty so give that a try. BTW my home made one that I cut out of a rectangular cast iron piece finally broke in half after 12 years of use. Actually I like it better that way now!

Ron
    Dunlap, IL
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 7,379
    I bought one and a chunk broke off fairly soon afterward. Just a normal cook, not a clean burn. They replaced it. A chunk broke off of the second one. They replaced it. I am still using the second one, but when it breaks again, I still have the third one (still in it's plastic bag). I saw no point in continuing the replacement madness so I gave up after three. BGE corporate seemed surprised that this could have happened. 

Anyway, this was before they started playing games with the warranty, so who knows. Certainly worth asking your dealer. If that fails, call Tucker.

Here's a pic of my second break...

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

"Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
  • same here. I went through 3 of them (large) with regular cooks in just a few months and moved on.They were covered but I got the serious skunk eye from my dealer when I went in for the 3rd. it's still in brand new in my garage if anyone wants it.  I have the small for my spider and it's been great for over a year. 

• Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 7,379
    I keep meaning to cut up grid #1 up to fit on my spider so I can sear, but haven't done it yet.
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

"Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
  • NPHuskerFLNPHuskerFL Posts: 6,473
    Mine cracked over the weekend while baking lobster and searing some beef tenderloin steaks on a c.i. pan. Just called my Egg distributor (Hagan Ace Hardware---great folks) and they are replacing it with no issues.I h dfinedone made pizza with mine in the egg and right after I finished pizzas at 700F750F I pulled the thermometer and let it go nuclear and didn't crack then so it shouldn't make a difference. There are restaurants that sear at 1200F on cast iron grids so temps should not do this to a grid. But, it happens. You'll find out how good your dealer is if they exchange it.
    LBGE 2012, Mini MAX 2014, SS Table and Stoker
    Die Hard HUSKER and BRONCO FAN
    Middleburg, FL
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,241
    That's why I don't have one.  Cast iron is fragile, and it needs to be heated and cooled evenly.  Bumping it or putting it down one something too hard can fracture it.  Might I suggest mangrates if you want grill marks?

• The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 11,799
    edited March 12
    I think the large is just too big to support itself. The small has been grate (ha-ha). I like those craycort grates too that come in 3 pie shaped pieces. Heard good things but never used them.

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,241
    That looks thrice as grate.

• HibbyHibby Posts: 417
    That looks similar to the craycort I have for my weber kettle.
    image.jpg
    800 x 533 - 129K
    Conservative stalwart in Thornville, Ohio
  • mgoblue0484mgoblue0484 Posts: 86

Some BGE accessories, like the Cast-Iron Grate, have a 5 year warranty. Go back to the place of purchase, file a claim with pictures, and you'll get a new grate. Mine had a crack, still use it. Like others, my new one is waiting in it's plastic bag.

GO BLUE!

Springfield, Va