Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New XL BGE First Cook

Options
Well I received my new XL BGE yesterday and was very happy, like waking up for Christmas. I decided to cook some hamburgers, but the temp started dropping and the wind picked up before I got started. Once I got it lit it took about 15 minutes to get to 400 and then put the burgers on. It took another 15 minutes for them to be done at around 135 degrees. They tasted great and its the first time my 5 year son ate all his burger without use telling him too. I can't wait to cook again tomorrow and I think I will do chicken.
XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Lil mans taste buds says it all. Congrats on the XL.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    Woo hoo...first one in the books...congrats
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • fruitguy
    fruitguy Posts: 303
    Options
    Wife bought me my XL two years ago. Enjoy the journey.
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    I have a new appreciation for chicken since the egg...we do legs and wings all the time..did my first spatchcock last weekend...I'll never do a whole chicken a different way again...so juicy and so good...
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I want to try a beer can chicken sometime soon. Just want to do some breast tomorrow. Wife has been buying this smart chicken stuff, but I want some really big breast to give the grill a test. Friday I am going for a steak.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • jccbone62
    jccbone62 Posts: 248
    Options
    Welcome to the club. Enjoy!
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Looks good. Welcome to the club! Happy Egging. ;-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options
    Instead of Beer Can try a spatchcock chicken
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Agree on the spatchcock.  If you go to naked Whiz site there is a general debunking of beer can chicken.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Congrats on the XL. Enjoy your addiction to cooking on the Egg.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    Do beer can to get your fix, then do spatchcock. Let us know if beer can chicken is ever worth the wait again. Welcome aboard!

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options

Do beer can to get your fix, then do spatchcock. Let us know if beer can chicken is ever worth the wait again. Welcome aboard!

Henapple loves Beer Can Chicken! I think it's expected though since he has enough PBR in his fridge to get the forum **** faced.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    Welcome, looking at your first pic you might want to check that your firebox is in the correct alignment. You must have an uninterrupted air flow. When you look into the bottom vent you should not see that firebox leg. That maybe why you took 15 min to get to 400. Enjoy !!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • msocko3
    msocko3 Posts: 35
    Options
    Welcome, looking at your first pic you might want to check that your firebox is in the correct alignment. You must have an uninterrupted air flow. When you look into the bottom vent you should not see that firebox leg. That maybe why you took 15 min to get to 400. Enjoy !!!

Good catch, one of the many reasons I like this forum is the attention to details a good many of the members show.
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Congrats on the XL and enjoy!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Welcome aboard and has been said, enjoy the journey.  Here's a link to about the best collection of ceramic cooking info around.  And the recipe section has some great cooks including the spatchcock chix:
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    It'll never be that clean again!  You're going to find things to cook you never considered on whatever you were grilling on before.  Welcome.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Welcome. ..Beer butt chickens. Do 2 or 3. Pull what's leftover.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Ladeback69
    Options

I beleive the firebox is in correctly, the sales person who delievered it told about making sure it is lined up and showed me.  What I forgot to say, since it was so windy I didn't think it was lit or going well and I opened the lid a few times.  I know better now.  Today it is going to be in the mid 60's and less wind so it should go better.  I was looking at the spatchcock chicken, but didn't know much about it.  I will check out the website and may try it this Satureday.  Now I look forward to planning meals to cook.  it took almost 30 minutes on my old gas grill to cook stuffed chicken breast.  I'm doing some plain chicken breast on the egg tonight.

Thanks agian for the welcome and the help. 

Kansas City, Mo.
  • drewaars
    drewaars Posts: 63
    Options
    its sooo white
    LBGE in Arlington, TX

Thanks and Gig'em
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I think the new XL eggs have notches in the base ceramic piece that the firebox sits in. Worth a look though to make sure the openings line up for ease of cleaning out ash also. Looks like it could be turned an inch or so, but could just be the perspective.
  • Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Options
    please go on Youtube and go to the Smokin` Guitar Player and watch his videos there are at least 100.pay attention to the spatchcock chicken videos there are 3 parts it is awsome.As are all of his vids this is where I learned to cook on an Egg.
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    You are going to love that XL! Looks like a new handle is that wood or is it plastic?
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    Just unpacked and partially put together my new xl tonight. It has a wood handle. Plan to finish assembly tomorrow and fire it up.
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    pgprescott, you may be right and i have been using up some old Green Egg charcoal is had from smoking with last year. i am going to shift the box a little tonight and add a little new charcoal to see if it gets up faster. I am doing a steak on it tonight so I am going up to 600 or 700 for searing. The handle and side tables are wood, but look like plastic from a distance. I wish i had a table to set more stuff on. The wife said no to that, but it will come. I will just put a small table next to it for now.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • coffeeguydenton
    Options
    Spatchcocked chicken is easy.  It may seem intimidating, but it's honestly the easiest thing I have cooked on the Egg yet.  And it blows beer can chicken out of the water.  Heck, blows most any other way of doing poultry out of the water.
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    +1 to @coffeeguydenton‌ I did my first spatchcock last weekend and it was easier then I expected.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    Welcome to the cult. Build your own table and save some money. You could build a table out of PT lumber for about.$100
    Mark Annville, PA