Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How does everyone store their Lump ?

Options
2»

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options

Same here, Barry. Except I never sorted or built carefully. Stir, dump and light. I do use a wiggle rod though. Especially for lo n slo cooks.

And in case anyone was wondering, in the snow pic above, there was a full load of new lump in the egg and the RO bag was about half full. Was going to cook that night, changed my mind and forgot that I had left it that way. Woke up the next morning to about 18 inches of the white stuff. Oops.

I used every bit of that lump. Scooped the snow off the grid (and what little had gotten past the grid) and cleaned out most of the snow from the bag. Set it in the garage for a week or two (not sure if it really got all that wet so I don't know if that mattered) and used every bit of it.
    I like these euphemisms...forgot=passed out? Can I use that?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    DMW said:
    ..forgot=passed out? Can I use that?
    Huh? I assume you are implying that there was alcohol involved. Sorry to disappoint, but that was not the case. I simply went inside for a bit, changed my mind about cooking in the cold and forgot that I had left it open. 

I have never passed out. From anything. But you can use that if you want.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options

DMW said:

..forgot=passed out? Can I use that?

Huh? I assume you are implying that there was alcohol involved. Sorry to disappoint, but that was not the case. I simply went inside for a bit, changed my mind about cooking in the cold and forgot that I had left it open. 

I have never passed out. From anything. But you can use that if you want.

Just having fun, sorry :)

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
    So far so good!! Use it regularly though. Also have an ACE within a mile. image
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    DMW said:
    Just having fun, sorry :)
    No problem.  :D

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    In the bag. In a big rubber box on thw deck with the egg accessories.
    I keep my 30 bags of royal oak at home depot.
    2 miles away

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Both sides
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Beside the egg in the snow for most of the year.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Garage image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    open bag is kept in the garage. The major stash is down in basement, just waiting their turn.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    Open bag with top folded over and a chip clip on it, under covered patio roof, never gets wet. 
    All huge pieces get tossed in a plastic can for low and slows. 

Lots of bags stored in the garage. RRP is especially famous for his garage lump storage. RRP?
    Judy in San Diego
  • coffeeguydenton
    Options
    I use a plastic deck box I bought from Sam's a couple years ago.  Works great.
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • RickyBobby
    RickyBobby Posts: 744
    Options
    I have a Really Large deep freezer that went out and I have it sitting down in one of my outbuildings, it's full to the rim with Rockwood Lump. It stays dry & I don't have to worry about mice or other critters.
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    In a corner in the garage.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options

In the bag in a wooden shed unless snow is in the forecast.  Then I bring a bag inside, so I don't have to mush through slush to cook.  Neither sleet nor snow nor heat nor gloom of night keeps me from the BGE.

Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Romain
    Romain Posts: 52
    Options
    open bag is kept in the garage. The major stash is down in basement, just waiting their turn.

+1. Exactly the same here.
    Romain Nowakowski Ashburn, VA
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I store my bags of lump in a large plastic 50 gal. patio storage deck box.  I've had no problems storing it this way. I live in New Orleans and believe me it gets mighty humid down here.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans