Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt Color?

I wanted to get the groups thoughts on wrapping their Boston butts. I have always gone low and slow without wrapping and the bark on the butt turns dark black in coloring. While watching Pitmasters today all the contestants wrapped their butts after achieving a mahogany color reducing the amount of smoke on the butt for the remainder of the cook. Is their a difference in taste in a lighter colored bark? Is their a different texture to the bark in a lighter colored bark after wrapping? I am curious to get the groups thoughts on wrapping for color or are their other benefits in wrapping or not?
Franklin, TN Medium and large Green Egg

Comments

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    They wrap to speed it up and to ensure tenderness and juiciness. The bark taste better without wrapping IMO. Is juiciness even a word ha
    NW IOWA
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Wrapping will push you thru the stall thus speeding up your cook. I have only wrapped 1 butt and didn't care for the softer bark. My butt cooks are generally @ 350* straight thru, no foil and no stall and really juicy with excellent crunchy bark. Been doin this way for about 1 1/2 yrs & won't even think about a low & slow.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Auburntgr
    Auburntgr Posts: 78
    I was just wondering if the dark almost black coloring of the bark is the intended output. I have always been happy with the flavor but was wondering if a lighter mahogany bark is the intended outcome for flavor and texture.
    Franklin, TN Medium and large Green Egg
  • We use cherry smoking wood on the butts to enhance a good mahogany colored bark.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• When you wrap meat in foil and continue cooking, you are no longer roasting, you are steaming.  That's why the crust gets softer on foiled meats.  It also speeds up the cooking process because evaporation stops cooling the meat.
    Flint, Michigan