Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mayday Mayday!!! Rib question??

Options
About to put 3 racks of St. Louis style ribs on the grill and wondering what everyone thinks as far as how I should go about cooking them... I know there are just as many ways to cook them as there are rubs to put on them, but just curious. My main question is what does everyone think about the 3-2-1 method? Any takers? All reply's are greatly appreciated! And I will be sure to post some pics along the way as well!
Demorest, Ga.    1MBGE

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    350 indirect... till they pass the bend test, no foil just rub. Once they are nice and bendy, coat them with sauce if you want and give them another 15min or so

• dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    Options
    I went turbo last night. Egg @ 350 indirect. Should take around 1 1/2 hrs or so. Have done 3-2-1 and it was good as well but I didn't really notice a difference in taste or texture-just took a lot less time going turbo.
  • BckPorchGriln
    Options
    What's a ball park time I should be looking for just so i'm not checking every 30 mins?
    Demorest, Ga.    1MBGE
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options
    I usually do 275 to 300 indirect until pass bend test. I may try the above, 350 next cook.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    At 275 will be around 4.5 hrs

Greensboro, NC
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    At 350 I'd probably check at about 2 hours if I recall correctly
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    SWMBO likes fall off the bone "ruined" ribs, no chew no texture. 3-2-1 at about 250º-275º works for those cooks. I prefer a 325º grid temp indirect cook. usually runs 2 to 2-1/2 hours. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I'm not into foil either. 300 with pecan wood. I rub with swamp venom. I use to foil but I didn't like the texture
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I do at 275, start checking at 3 hours.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • BckPorchGriln
    Options
    Ok so now that everyone has left and the 30lbs of used paper towels are out in the trash can let me recap the cook from today. I went with the method that @cazzy used for his previous record setting cook of 3 racks on a small and did the same thing on my medium. I did 250 for the first hour with them layered until I could stand them up and skewer them. Everything went as planned except for the whole outcome part... I thought they were a little tougher than the previous racks that I've done. The previous rib cooks I've done were with baby back pork ribs instead of the St. Louis style. Could this have something to do with it? I've got a couple pictures from the cook itself but not finished product because the 12 people at my house were like flying vulture and to pull my camera out would have been a mistake... I wouldn't have gotten any... Oh well!!! All in all they had a great taste with the use of some hickory chunks and some jack daniel's whiskey barrel chips. Let me know if you think the difference in texture is because of my choice of ribs. Enjoy!
    Demorest, Ga.    1MBGE
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Pretty cool!

Next time, wrap them for a hour if they don't feel right. If they were tougher than you're used to, they were under done.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    St. Louis are meatier than BB ribs, and consequently take longer, so maybe they were not quite done.  No reason they should not be as tender as you want given enough time (or I guess with foil, though I have never foiled ribs).  Sounds like your cook was a success anyways.  I am impressed at 3 full racks on your small!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • cazzy
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Cookinbob said:
    St. Louis are meatier than BB ribs, and consequently take longer, so maybe they were not quite done.  No reason they should not be as tender as you want given enough time (or I guess with foil, though I have never foiled ribs).  Sounds like your cook was a success anyways.  I am impressed at 3 full racks on your small!
    Those are 3 racks on a medium...still awesome.  I did 3 on my small though...a lot more crowded. lol
  • BckPorchGriln
    Options
    Cazzy- had plenty of room for a 4th maybe even a 5th rack which i'm looking forward to experimenting with! And I FTC'd them for an hour when I took them off. I guess I should just foil for an hour before pulling? If that's what you're saying then I can try that the next go around. Thank for the insight.
    Demorest, Ga.    1MBGE
  • cazzy
    Options
    Cazzy- had plenty of room for a 4th maybe even a 5th rack which i'm looking forward to experimenting with! And I FTC'd them for an hour when I took them off. I guess I should just foil for an hour before pulling? If that's what you're saying then I can try that the next go around. Thank for the insight.
    I don't know what the finished ones look like, but the ones I'm seeing don't look close.  Did the finished ribs have meat pull back on the bone?

I was suggesting wrapping them in foil and throwing them on the grill for a hour...especially if the dinner bell was close to ringing.  
  • BckPorchGriln
    Options
    Yeah they did have a fair amount of pull back... I forgot to take a finished picture. But I get what you're saying abt tossing them back on with the foil. Will do next time! Thanks for the advice cazzy
    Demorest, Ga.    1MBGE
  • cazzy
    Options
    No problem.  This isn't necessarily something I normally would encourage.  Cooking them this way is effective, but it's not ideal.  Unless you rotate them, they will not cook evenly.  I would certainly do the toothpick test I everyone you pull off to make sure they're tender enough.
  • BckPorchGriln
    Options
    Sounds great, I'll be sure to rotate them within the grill and then top to bottom so to speak. Thanks again for the advice. I'm sure when it's time for me to do another brisket I'll be hitting you up for some pointers. ;)
    Demorest, Ga.    1MBGE
  • bigdogk9
    bigdogk9 Posts: 69
    Options
    Ribs look great but can't help but notice your daisy wheel has been replaced with a different one!!!! Is it something you made? Just curious???
  • cazzy
    Options
    bigdogk9 said:

Ribs look great but can't help but notice your daisy wheel has been replaced with a different one!!!! Is it something you made? Just curious???

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1471644#Comment_1471644
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    I have tried lots of variations including a variety of 3-2-1 methods.  Have settled on the following:  1.  The night before, I rinse them, dry them off, put on a very light coat of mustard (either Dijon or a mix of dry mustard and water) and sprinkle lightly with dizzy dust and swamp venom.  2.  Put them in the fridge on a rack to air dry.  3.  Next day I put them on the BGE for about 2 hours at 280,  bone side down with a medium size chunk of hickory  (Used to use small chunks of hickory and apple, but now prefer only hickory).  4.  Coat with a brown sugar and continue grilling for about 1/2 hour.  This approach gives a consistently good product and a real crowd pleaser.  
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)