Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanksgiving Dressing

Options
Butch M
Butch M Posts: 52
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For the past 5 years that we have owned our large egg, we have enjoyed a delicious Thanksgiving Turkey. This year we will be trying Mad Max offering.
We have also cooked our dressing on the egg, which has turned out good, but there is a little room for improvement. Has anyone had good results making dressing on the egg, if so would you be so kind as to share how you made it.
Thank you so much

Comments

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    Butch M,
    are you talking about rice dressing or cornbread dressing?
    Either~Or.... I usually stuff bell peppers with dressing and cook then on the egg, single serve and great flavor.

• Chef Wil
    Options
    turkey.jpg
    <p />holler if you need more info
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Butch M,[p]This doesn't answer your question, but the usage of "dressing" vs. "stuffing" reminded me of some Food TV I watched this morning. Tyler Florence made the distinction a couple of times that dressing is stuffing cooked outside of the bird (like in a baking dish). I've been making this cornbread and sage sausage stuffing from a Julia and Jacques book for years now, though I guess it's been dressing all along.[p]But I digress. My point in bringing this up is that people talk about the advantages of cooking dressing outside of the bird like having the bird roast more evenly or even some safety issues of putting stuffing in raw bird. One issue of cooking it outside of the bird is you don't have the bird juices basting your "dressing" as it cooks, adding all that flavor.[p]I saw someone here talk about baking their "dressing" with chicken wings on top of it to add flavor, which I thought was interesting. This morning, and the point of this whole, stupid post, I saw Emerill cook dressing outside of the bird but then put the finished bird on top of it while it rested for 10-15 minutes. This seemed like a simple, logical suggestion to get some last second turkey stuff into your dressing cooked outside of your bird.[p]Long windedly yours,
    Cornfed

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Butch M,
    here is the recipe to my favorite stuffing (from giada dilaurenttiss). . .. [p]whatever stuffing you do, if you do it in the egg, be careful. . .. wet bread absorbs a lot of smoke, so make sure you have a clean egg and really clean burning fire. .. otherwise, you might not be too happy with the results. ..[p]Ciabatta Stuffing with Chestnuts and Pancetta
    Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis
    See this recipe on air Friday Nov. 19 at 11:00 AM ET/PT.
    Show: Everyday Italian[p]Episode: Italian Thanskgiving
    [p]6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter
    8 ounces pancetta, cut into 1/4-inch dice
    2 large onions, finely chopped
    2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
    3 celery stalks, finely chopped
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
    3 garlic cloves, chopped
    2 (7.4-ounce) jars roasted peeled whole chestnuts, coarsely broken
    1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
    1 pound day-old ciabatta bread, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
    2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan
    1 cup (or more) canned low-salt chicken broth
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    2 large eggs, beaten to blend
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
    Butter a 15 by 10 by 2-inch glass baking dish. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add the pancetta and saute until crisp and golden, about 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the pancetta to a large bowl. Melt the remaining butter in the same skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions, carrots, celery, rosemary, and garlic. Saute until the onions are very tender, about 12 minutes. Gently stir in the chestnuts and parsley. Transfer the onion mixture to the large bowl with the pancetta. Add the bread and Parmesan and toss to coat. Add enough broth to the stuffing mixture to moisten. Season the stuffing, to taste, with salt and pepper. Mix in the eggs.
    Transfer the stuffing to the prepared dish. Cover with buttered foil, buttered side down, and bake until the stuffing is heated through, about 30 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until the top is crisp and golden, about 15 minutes longer.[p]

• Butch M
    Options
    Chef Wil,
    Could you share the recipe? Looks great.

• Chef Wil
    Options
    Butch M,
    it is just a simple rice dressing, cored out bell peppers, fill cavity with dressing and cooked on the egg for about 45 minutes at 325 or 350

• Butch M
    Options
    Chef Wil,
    Thanks, we are going to give this a try next week.