Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just got back from Sam's where I bough alot of meat, and some new tires

Options
jls9595
jls9595 Posts: 1,533
Spent over $1,000, all necessary purchases. ;)  I plan to do my very first brisket on Saturday so I got a 13 lb choice packer(picked the most flimsy and marbled one I could find).  

Also bought a whole USDA Prime beef tenderloin to the tune of $97. My question is what is the best thing to do with it? I figure I'll cut it into fillets and freeze for steaks later, maybe cook a couple tonight.  Any advice?
In Manchester, TN
Vol For Life!

Comments

• jls9595
    Options
    Here is a pic of the tenderloin:image
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • cfwilen
    cfwilen Posts: 27
    Options
    I cleaned a tenderloin a couple weeks ago.  Most got thrown into the freezer, but I did the head roast low and slow (250) and then finished with a reverse sear.  It was incredible tender and flavorful. 
    Portland, OR
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Nice haul.  I like to take tenderloins, cut the thick end into 1- 1 1/2" thick,  season them I use a jaccard to pierce them slather in worchestershire sauce, salt, pepper, garlic powder and food saver them.  Sometimes I use Montreal steak seasoning. Cook a few and after the silver is removed take the skinny end and cut into pieces for stroganoff(sp) or beef barley soup. For that kind of $$$$ too bad you can not eat the rubber.
  • jls9595
    Options
    For that kind of $$$$ too bad you can not eat the rubber.
    I thought the same thing.

So can I not cut it all into steaks?

In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    jls9595 said:
    For that kind of $$$$ too bad you can not eat the rubber.
    I thought the same thing.

So can I not cut it all into steaks?

Yes you can but the small ends I usually make into a round steak wrapped in bacon and a toothpick.

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    You can eat the rubber just don't smoke with it.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!