Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Migraines and Some Beers

Options
With the advent of Sam Adams several years ago I got on the microbrew and craftbrew bandwagons. What a blast it has been! But in the past year or so along with getting older I've proved to myself despite resisting overwhelming evidence that some beers and or some types of beers result in a crushing migraine headache usually starting around 3 a.m. or so and lasting until about noon the next day. This far exceeds any hangover (remembered, anyway) from the old days when we'd pound a six pack of something like Coors or Miller Lite before going out and pounding another one. This can be just two beers and in some cases one and seems to be hops related since that Monkey Fist IPA the other day had me down for an eight count. So now I'm screening beers for migraines and having to avoid certain types and or processors.. Anybody else have this problem? It's pissing me off but hey, I still have an Egg!

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I don't have the issue but I wonder if you're reacting to an ingredient in the beer rather than experiencing side effects from dehydration. Is it only with certain beers or every beer?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    no hops in guinness. ive never had a hangover or migrane so i dont know what causes it but do the guinness test, that should tell you if its the hops
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    no hops in guinness. ive never had a hangover or migrane so i dont know what causes it but do the guinness test, that should tell you if its the hops
    Where did you hear that?
    Options
    I thought the title of this thread meant Little Steven's Sundays

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Optiontrader
    Options
    Years ago, I had that problem with Stag beer.  Didn't like it much anyway so it was easy to stay away from.
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
  • brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Options
    For patients who are susceptible certain ingredients can trigger migraine headaches. Chocolate, red wine, certain cheeses, and even peanuts are often the culprit. The common thread in all is an amino acid that triggers the reaction.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    brianwdmn said:

For patients who are susceptible certain ingredients can trigger migraine headaches. Chocolate, red wine, certain cheeses, and even peanuts are often the culprit. The common thread in all is an amino acid that triggers the reaction.

Stay away from that junks on MAOIs too.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited March 2014
    Options
    brianwdmn said:
    Tyramine or Phenylethylamine

Foods that contain high levels of phenylethylamine and tyramine include:
    Aged, smoked, and pickled meat
    Chocolate
    Alcohol products (especially beer, red wine, sherry and vermouth)
    Aged dairy products, such as sour cream, yogurt, buttermilk and cheese
    Soy products, such as soy sauce, tamari sauce, teriyaki sauce, tofu, and miso soup
    Vinegar (red and balsamic)
    Sauerkraut
    Nuts and seeds
    Fava beans
    Snow pea pods
    Citrus fruits
    Avocados (especially when overripe)
    Bananas (especially when overripe)
    Eggplant
    Figs
    Dates
    Raisins
    Red plums
    Raspberries
    Onions
    Pickles
    Olives
    Yeast
    Canned soups
    Options
    I think it's called "getting old"
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options

Budweiser does this to me, was at a brewery tasting session with the brewmeister a few years ago and asked him what was different with Bud that was not in Bud Light or Michelob that would do this. His answer was he had never heard of this happening, when about 20 other people in the room said it done it to them also. He was at a loss of words and stuck with he had no idea why it would happen.I am sure it is an ingredient but not sure what !

Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    I have been a migraine sufferer since fourth grade but beer is not usually a trigger for me. I do have a reaction to some German beers though that make me look like a raccoon with sunburn instead of a black mask! My head aches are usually triggered by bright light exposure and dehydration. I seem to dehydrate faster than the average bear.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    Where did you hear that?
    it was in one of those beer books i read years ago, said no hops just add sour beer but looking on the web and that was wrong, there is a boiling hops just no finishing hops
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Maybe it has something to do with the finishing hops and amount of alpha and beta acids they add to the beers. Or the type of yeast they are employing. Most beers are after all just malted barley, hops, yeast and water. Maybe a few adjuncts here and there, but not in high concentrations.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings