Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

gasket time

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

henapple said:

Well..amazon never threw me under the bus...so I will spend the extra 23 cents. Of course I'm inexperienced.

If you really want to start a war, buy a Cotronics ceramic gasket from me and post how it FREAKIN ROCKS.

How much? Any advantages over the other?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    henapple said:
    Well..amazon never threw me under the bus...so I will spend the extra 23 cents. Of course I'm inexperienced.
    If you really want to start a war, buy a Cotronics ceramic gasket from me and post how it FREAKIN ROCKS.
    Actually, it does. Friend has it on a KJ, now in 4th year, looks new except for all the spilled BBQ sauce and spooge all over it. 
    Noticed that Elmira wood fire cookstoves now use ceramic (Cotronics) on the oven door and Rutlands on the fire pit door. Speaks volumes on food safety i think. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

Yep, Rutland is the way to go. Question is do you want to do it on the dome or base?

I have it on the base on my small and like it.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• henapple
    Wouldn't the gasket on the lid stay cleaner from drips and spills?
  • Skiddymarker
    edited March 2014
    henapple said:
    I think the reason most put it on the base is because it is easier. You don't have to take the dome off. Many eggers do not have the confidence of doing that. 
    Once the dome is off, mounted upside down in the base, the installation of any gasket is easy. If you have the skill and confidence to take it apart and put it back together, gasket on the dome makes sense to me. 
    The issue, IMHO, with a Rutland on the dome is the possibility of the graphite laden fibers landing on the food when you open the dome, that is not so much of an issue when installed on the base. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I wish I could hang on the other "cooler" forum, but I just can't deal with giant blocks of advertisements.
    @nolaegghead, Sorry buddy, come over here and sit at the table with the rest of us inexperienced losers. 

The cafeteria is a cruel place. Eggers vs Eggheads is all West Side Story, apparently. I'm still trying to figure out who Tony and Maria are.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    I am starting to smell a TURF WAR!  I didnt even know about a different BGE forum until this week.  I just checked out the other site though . . . was the format created on a supercomputer?

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    edited March 2014
    henapple said:

I think there is a quality site that may be able to help you with the decision of top or bottom. It's kinda like this one but better. From what I hear
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    @nolaegghead, Sorry buddy, come over here and sit at the table with the rest of us inexperienced losers. 

The cafeteria is a cruel place. Eggers vs Eggheads is all West Side Story, apparently. I'm still trying to figure out who Tony and Maria are.
    Since I am bi-forum does that mean I am inexperienced looser when I post here, but an experienced winner when I post over there?   ....  I am so easily confused.....

Seriously opinionated opinions fly very easily on both forum.  Sometime big boy pants and flame jacket are needed apparel. 

#-o
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136

Since I am bi-forum does that mean I am inexperienced looser when I post here, but an experienced winner when I post over there?   ....  I am so easily confused.....

Seriously opinionated opinions fly very easily on both forum.  Sometime big boy pants and flame jacket are needed apparel. 

#-o

I don't know Joan, I've been posting over there this morning and I'm starting to feel I'm better than these guys too. :P
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    @Austin_Egghead, I should have been a test pilot. Read a really interesting story about a SR-71 the other day.

I'm just being silly about the continued silliness. There is definitely an "old guard/new blood" dichotomy between the forums, it really doesn't have to be like this.

The crass language complaints has a certain "get off my lawn" je ne sais quoi. I have no issue with it, but then again, I was born in the 80's. 

A REALLY SMART PERSON said this: As for language or pictures or videos, what is offensive to some may not be to others and that is their choice either not read or to post a comment to that thread. 

I cannot agree more. I also cannot wait to meet you on Saturday, Hon.
  • revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    cazzy said:

#-o
    I don't know Joan, I've been posting over there this morning and I'm starting to feel I'm better than these guys too. :P
    Both sites are very nice and there is a world of knowledge on both.  Both sites offer knowledgable advice to questions and there are six way to do just about anything.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • Skiddymarker
    Like most of us here, you read the other forum, but read and participate in this one, it is a much friendlier place. 
  • revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    I have friends on both and enjoy them all.
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • henapple
    I don't have any friends here but I hope to some day.
  • canegger
    I'll be your friend.
  • henapple
    Are you Canadian?
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    canegger said:
    I'll be your friend.
    Finish your beer first.
    NOLA
  • canegger
    Yes Canadian.
    I still have half a beer left
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    buzd504 said:
    canegger said:
    I'll be your friend.
    Finish your beer first.
    Like that is ever going to happen.
  • canegger

buzd504 said:

canegger said:

I'll be your friend.

Finish your beer first.

Like that is ever going to happen.

Beer fridge is running low though. Only a dozen left for tonight
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    @canegger-hopefully eastern time or even more east as a dozen could result in a serious "low-level alarm" later and too far into the orbit to salvage the evening :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • henapple
    For you @canegger‌ ...And Me

Watch "ENDLESS LOVE, Diana Ross & Lionel Ritchie" on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnfwnOp6uek&feature=youtube_gdata_player
  • canegger
    lousubcap said:

@canegger-hopefully eastern time or even more east as a dozen could result in a serious "low-level alarm" later and too far into the orbit to salvage the evening :)>-

Ya eastern time. That doesn't mean much around here though
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    The other sites format alone keeps me from even stopping in. I haven't had to deal with that crap since AOL newsgroups.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • nolaegghead

#-o
    Joan, I'm just messing around. I love all you egg folks. :D  (and I understand they need the ads to run the site)
    I got a feeling @austinegghead‌ is gonna be kicking someone's $@# in salado
  • nolaegghead
    Sadly, @henapple, I can't make it this year so you're gonna have to fill in for me. (sadness)