Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How does everyone store their Lump ?

I think I am correct in saying you need to keep moisture out of your Lump. Should I be preparing my wife for the lump being stored in the house during the humid summer. Where does everyone store their lump?
Greensboro North Carolina
When in doubt Accelerate....

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Mine is in a cinder block storage shed. I had about 280 pounds in November. Ran out a couple of weeks ago, but fortunately Home Depot is now carrying RO, so no more need to stockpile. I just buy a bag or 2 every week.
    Ktim Posts: 364
    I keep mine in the house right inside the doorwall along with eggcessories.Makes the house smell great!
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    In the garage in a kings ford storage bin
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

In the bag. In the shed. Or right out there in the elements on our porch. I recall a thread a long time ago (and for some reason Stike comes to mind) of finding their lump had been rained on the night before. It was the only lump they had, so they tossed it on the egg, lit it and it worked perfectly fine. I don't know how true it was, but I've thrown lump that was a little damp from dew on and didn't have any problems, course I use a weed burner to get it going and that dried it out pretty quick.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    Griffin said:

In the bag. In the shed. Or right out there in the elements on our porch. I recall a thread a long time ago (and for some reason Stike comes to mind) of finding their lump had been rained on the night before. It was the only lump they had, so they tossed it on the egg, lit it and it worked perfectly fine. I don't know how true it was, but I've thrown lump that was a little damp from dew on and didn't have any problems, course I use a weed burner to get it going and that dried it out pretty quick.

• Gezr
    Gezr Posts: 154
    I usually buy in bulk in order to get the free shipping so most of the bags live in the garage - not climate controlled - and one or two bags are on the screened porch porch near the eggs. We get  a bit of humidity in piedmont Virginia and I have never had any moisture problems with the lump. It lights and burns fine.
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Afton, VA
  • johnmitchell
    This is what I was hoping to hear, (and my wife)... Thats what I will be doing. Thanks
  • Dcgriller
    Dcgriller Posts: 15
    Mine is kept outside. I buy a lot of bags at one time and they sit in a storage container outside. Not much, but some water gets in the container, so I have other things on the bottom that keep the lump out of the water. What I'm getting at is that lump does not need to be stored like wine or cigars. Don't soak it and you're fine. I'm sure some purists disagree, but I can't tell a difference.
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    I keep mine in a garbage pail with the cover on it works fine
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    I keep mine in a garbage pail with the cover on it works fine

+ 1
    Toronto
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I live in FL where the humidity is bad. I keep it outside in the bag or in a 5 gallon bucket in the porch. I never have an issue.
    Dunedin, FL
  • corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    My unused bags in the garage.  The one I'm using stays outside under a covered patio.  I live in Louisiana so it doesn't get much more humid than here, I really haven't had any problems.

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

• GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    I keep mine outside in the bag inside one of those large plastic containers.  I keep 2 bags in it along with all of my accessories.  I have never had an issue with it, and it gets as humid in North AL as anywhere.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    I keep the extra bags in the garage and about a bag in a storage tote on the deck. No problems.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I keep mine in the garage. I am GA and the humidity has never caused a problem for me. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • I keep the bags in the garage. I also keep a smaller, covered, Rubbermaid container under my table. Container holds about an 8lb bag. I would reccomend a larger one. All last summer and now all winter I've had no issues.
    Madison, CT
    LBGE June 2013. 

• NoJokeSmoke
    NoJokeSmoke Posts: 42
    edited March 2014
    I have an extra large deck box like this one that I use.  It will hold about 6 or 7 large bags. Like this one Link.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Sometimes, I store mine in a snowbank. 

image:D

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Leave it in the bag, relative humidity has no real effect, flood water is a different story, but relative humidity, not a problem. 
    The bag will absorb moisture before the carbonized lump will. Mine is in the garage in the bed of my hobby truck. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

If you're in a humid climate and using a sealed container, you better be transferring it over and always opening/closing it in an environmentally controlled room.  Otherwise, you're trapping humidity in the container........so what's the point of keeping it sealed?  If the sun hits that container, green house effect and mold.  I heard someone was using a desiccant bag in their charcoal container--LOL.  Charcoal is the best desiccant out there--it was probably drawing the moister OUT of the desiccant bag.

Just leave it in the bag, in a covered area.  Fold the top over so that the dust isn't getting out if you bump into it, and you garage dust or critters are not getting in.  If you're really concerned about the humidity, keep it in the house.

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I just keep mine in the bag and store in my garage.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    The bag I buy it in.  The open bags go in a giant tupperware thing.  Unopened bags on a shelf in the manbearcave.
    Shed, under beds, anywhere for me.
  • johnmitchell
    Thank you all... Mine will stay where it is undercover outside :-c
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I have some Kingsford bins that I use for the open bag - each bin holds about 10 pounds of charcoal.  The unopened bags get stored in my basement.

I have heard some people say that charcoal that gets wet will not burn properly.  I find that hard to believe - it might start a little slower, but after 10-15 minutes, the firebox will be so hot that any moisture will be evaporated.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Timvanee
    Timvanee Posts: 43
    I was thinking about that this weekend... Would be kind of nice to have the small-medium-big chunks split out in seperate bins... Makes for more precise fire building I guess... The mold and moisture might prevent it from being effective though
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    In the bag; in the garage.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I used to sort my lump and build my fire very carefully.  Then I decided it was too much work and now just stir the lump a few times and then dump in new stuff on top. I clean out the ashes every 3 or 4 cooks and everything still works the same.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    I store my bags in the garage.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Same here, Barry. Except I never sorted or built carefully. Stir, dump and light. I do use a wiggle rod though. Especially for lo n slo cooks.

And in case anyone was wondering, in the snow pic above, there was a full load of new lump in the egg and the RO bag was about half full. Was going to cook that night, changed my mind and forgot that I had left it that way. Woke up the next morning to about 18 inches of the white stuff. Oops.

I used every bit of that lump. Scooped the snow off the grid (and what little had gotten past the grid) and cleaned out most of the snow from the bag. Set it in the garage for a week or two (not sure if it really got all that wet so I don't know if that mattered) and used every bit of it.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut