Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Internet Prime Steaks, Worth the money?

Hey everyone, I have got a few friends that have challenged me to a steak cookoff competition and I was thinking a pulling a fast one and ordering some prime ribeyes and keeping it hush hush, the question I have is can most people tell the difference in prime vs choice, next does anyone have a vendor that they have used and had success with? I plan on doing a hot sear then shutting the egg down to finish, thanks in advance for the replies. Joe.

Comments

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    I definitely can tell the difference between prime, and not prime.  Its that good.  Ive not done prime from the internet.  Are you sure you cannot find it locally?  My Costco carries it, as well as some of the higher end grocery stores.  Good luck with the competition, no matter who wins, your gonna get some good steaks.
  • JoeMac
    JoeMac Posts: 17
    I do have a Cosco about an hour away I may ride over this weekend and see what they got, I have also read up on American wagyu anyone give those a try on the egg?
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    edited March 2014
    I nailed some Costco choice ribeyes the other day, not much flavor, so you won't win with them. I've had Omaha Steaks and some others like it, they are very good, just pricey and you get on their mailing list.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I see a big difference between prime and choice. As well as a big price difference. If you are near a Wegmans, their dry aged prime steaks are amazing. I was gifted an Omaha Steak Rib Eye Roast. That was one of the best I ever did. I would recommend a reverse sear instead of starting hot and shutting the Egg down. The shut down can cause some funky smells.
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Chicago stockyards (stockyards) is a great place to order-
    Greensboro, NC
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    JoeMac said:
    I do have a Cosco about an hour away I may ride over this weekend and see what they got, I have also read up on American wagyu anyone give those a try on the egg?

you'll need a membership at Costco to get in the door.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • FLbobecu
    FLbobecu Posts: 309
    I think it can be worth it. If you're serious, take a look at these guys here:'''

Or Costco Prime/Wagyu, depending on your location. Here's my latest score from Costco..
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    The problem with ordering from the internet places is you pay as much for shipping as you do for the beef.   If you can find a local butcher or grocery store that carries prime you will likely save a good bit of money.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• pswarren
    pswarren Posts: 98
    edited March 2014
    Another vote for Chicago Stockyards!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited March 2014
    Lobel's if you want on the very top of the pile. They are out of NY and cost like hell. I just received a 6 steak package (gift) that was $340 plus shipping. This is the top 2%. www.lobels.com/
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795

I've received gifts from this place a couple of times.  They are the best steaks I've ever eaten and they are somewhat cheaper than Lobel's (which I have never had).

https://www.yougrill.com/index.php

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I don't think I would get internet steaks. I would never purchase a steak that I couldn't look at first and inspect it for marbling. But that's just me and what do I know?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Lobels, Pat LaFrieda, debraggas. I have only heard good things about the latter 2. Lobels is the best beef I've ever had.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Mickey said:
    Lobel's if you want on the very top of the pile. They are out of NY and cost like hell. I just received a 6 steak package (gift) that was $340 plus shipping. This is the top 2%. www.lobels.com/
    Holy heck I haven't paid that for a cooked steak!  LOL     ...and shipping on top of it.

I hope they were good!!!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    im in the minority here, i dont like prime ribeyes, i prefer a good high  grade of choice from a good butchershop. google "the meathouse" and see if one is near you and get a cowboy cut, always impessive. there are better cooking methods for that ribeye if you want to take it to a higher level, trex method,or  hot tub method, lots of info on the forum about those cooking methods. the sear and dwell method you mentioned sometimes imparts a bitter taste to the steak
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    Tjcoley said:
    I see a big difference between prime and choice. As well as a big price difference. If you are near a Wegmans, their dry aged prime steaks are amazing. I was gifted an Omaha Steak Rib Eye Roast. That was one of the best I ever did. I would recommend a reverse sear instead of starting hot and shutting the Egg down. The shut down can cause some funky smells.
    +1 on the reverse sear. I do all my thick steaks like that now....
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Meat, even that graded Prime, is not always a commodity. The carcass is rated, the ribs (all 13 of them) can vary from carcass to carcass. 
    A little late for your throw down, the best way is to develop a relationship with a local butcher. I have a guy at my local Safeway that is incredible. He will go through the primal on hand and always gets me four or five ribs of cap removed rib roasts. It is AAA, same as Choice, and always great. 
    Prime from Costco has been OK so far, no disappointments.   
    Reverse sear whatever you do. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • JoeMac
    Thanks everyone, there is some great info here, I defiantly will check on all of the tips in this tread, reverse sear ok I will look that up, once again thanks all.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I have had snake river farms filet at a hibachi place and it was DELICIOUS. I'd order from them if I was you.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Or sear and then indirect. imageimageimage
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    JoeMac said:
    Thanks everyone, there is some great info here, I defiantly will check on all of the tips in this tread, reverse sear ok I will look that up, once again thanks all.
    If you wind up with dry-aged beef, it cooks much faster than fresh beef due to the moisture loss. I wouldn't want you to learn that with a few hundred dollars worth of steak.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Those are some gorgeous hunks o' beef @Mickey. Nice pictures.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• JoeMac

If you wind up with dry-aged beef, it cooks much faster than fresh beef due to the moisture loss. I wouldn't want you to learn that with a few hundred dollars worth of steak.

Wow I didn't know that thank you for that bit of info, I have never cooked anything other than cheap steak so tips are welcome.