Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pig Shots

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    @ccpoulin1 Picture? :)

Tried this tonight. I used bratwurst which is what I had in the fridge, but might work better with a firmer sausage. It was tough to get them formed and standing up correctly to make the "shot glass". 

Also, thicker bacon would have helped as someone else said. 

Tasted amazing, though. 

As a cardiologist, I can't say I recommend these as part of a heart healthy diet, that's for sure. 
  • scaryangel
    scaryangel Posts: 135
    I wish i had seen this earlier today. I am making these next weekend. Thanks for the receipe..
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    Sorry, i know the rule about it did not happen if you don't have pictures.....We were running late and i forgot to pull out the camera!  I think it was the first time in history i made us late, but it was all for a good cause!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• I made these last night for some friends. Amazing recipe. Thanks for sharing! We added King's Hawaiian Sweet rolls to the mix. These pig shots on a roll with some Stone Ground Horseradish Mustard? Oh yeah!
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    As a cardiologist, I can't say I recommend these as part of a heart healthy diet, that's for sure. 

Yeah, a little in moderation is probably a good idea!
    I wish i had seen this earlier today. I am making these next weekend. Thanks for the receipe..

You're welcome. Weekend is half over, make them yet? :)
    I made these last night for some friends. Amazing recipe. Thanks for sharing! We added King's Hawaiian Sweet rolls to the mix. These pig shots on a roll with some Stone Ground Horseradish Mustard? Oh yeah!

Pig shots on a roll! Very interesting. Got a pic of that you can share?
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • I made these last night for some friends. Amazing recipe. Thanks for sharing! We added King's Hawaiian Sweet rolls to the mix. These pig shots on a roll with some Stone Ground Horseradish Mustard? Oh yeah!

Pig shots on a roll! Very interesting. Got a pic of that you can share? Here's a pic for you. Great snack size.

Sure.  Here you go!
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    The next time i make them, i think in with the brie, brown sugar and bacon, i may add a little bit of apple as well.

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Looks great and I will definitely try these.  My cardiologist is going to be a rich man.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    Kick it up a notch and put a nice round slice of Jalapeno on top.  Now, that is something I will try this weekend.  Thanks for the idea.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    I made a batch and took to my local dealers demo a month ago. They went over real big. I think it helped sell a few.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    I see many of the recipes for Pig Shots calling for the use of what looks like a pretty hefty dose of brown sugar on the top. From a culinary viewpoint, what is the purpose of the brown sugar? 

To me, a light sprinkle of a rub (some of which may contain a small amount of brown sugar) is all that is needed.

Just asking....

Springram
    Spring, Texas

LBGE and Mini
  • TurtleCreek
    TurtleCreek Posts: 140
    Springram said:
    I see many of the recipes for Pig Shots calling for the use of what looks like a pretty hefty dose of brown sugar on the top. From a culinary viewpoint, what is the purpose of the brown sugar? 

To me, a light sprinkle of a rub (some of which may contain a small amount of brown sugar) is all that is needed.

Just asking....

Springram
    Spring, Texas

This is the first i have seen this delightful recipe.  I know that smoking bacon and brown sugar together is a wonderful combo.  (Pig Candy)  That's the first thing that comes to mind.  Try it on a few - vs- no sugar.  Just another option I guess.
  • I looked at the 70 to 90 min and some how turned mine into hocky pucks

• trying one more time

• nolenut19
    nolenut19 Posts: 76
    Has anyone tried tho with a Cajun sausage? Curious if the spice from the sausage interferes with the intended taste of the shot.
  • R2Egg2Q
    I'd say give the Cajun sausage a shot & let us know how they come out! There are no rules on Pig Shots other than making a bacon "shot glass". Fill it however you like and adjust as necessary to suit your taste preferences.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Last night, I used smoked sausage and Kennedy bacon. Filled with cream cheese and a five green chili salsa. Topped it with dizzy dust. Used hickory chunks. SWMBO loved them. Thank goodness they were spicy as hell, otherwise we would have eaten them all.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Styer
    Styer Posts: 25
    edited September 2013
    Just found this. Can't wait to make these for all of the fiances extended family.

How many do you think I can fit on a Med BGE at once?
  • R2Egg2Q
    I fit 25 on my Small grid but a few were partially direct heat. I'd think you should be able fit 30 indirect.

Bay Area, CA
  • Styer
    Styer Posts: 25
    Ended up being able to place 40 of these on my Medium and they were a big hit even though I think I could have cooked them a little longer and used less cream cheese.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207

Did about 50 of these for my tennis team Saturday and they were a huge hit. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I do them for my tennis team as well I captain the Shakerag team of McGinnis Ferry. Who do you play with?

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • GATraveller
    @JRWhitee Peachtree Station  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JRWhitee
    We have played there a few times in the past, we are A-5 this season.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    I made these for the first time about a month ago, since then I have made them about 4 more times.  Everyone loves them....rave reviews!

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

• corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Springram said:

Just asking....

Springram
    Spring, Texas

This is what makes them to me.  Just a nice sweet little punch to go with all the salt of the bacon and sausage.  To each is own but I love that touch.  Most of my family agree that it's the 'icing on the cake'......

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

• JRWhitee
    I agree, I am not much for sweets but the brown sugar gives it at little extra. I get a lot of comments on the brown sugar it blends nicely with the others as Corey24 states.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • GATraveller
    JRWhitee said:
    I agree, I am not much for sweets but the brown sugar gives it at little extra. I get a lot of comments on the brown sugar it blends nicely with the others as Corey24 state
    +1

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA